What's new

Noise from speakers when amp turns off, ok??? (1 Viewer)

Eric Polesovsky

Auditioning
I was recently picked up an Adcom 545 2 channel amp. Coming off of receivers, I am new to separate amps.
I am using a Yamaha receiver as a preamp and using the Adcom to power my main speakers.
When I turn off the amp, there is a noise that comes from the left speaker after a slight delay. It is not a pop, but more like a squeek. Is this normal? I don't want to damage my speakers. Thanks for any info.
Eric

Keith_As

Auditioning
I get that with one of my amps as well. I've been told it's probably just the output capacitors from the amp releasing their stored charge, and that it really isn't harmful.

anth_c

Stunt Coordinator
Keith is correct...it is the capacitors discharging. I guess most amps are capable of doing this, but Adcom did not mute the circuit when the power is shut off...hence the pops.

The other advantage of this is that you can unplug the amp while the source is still playing. Music will play for several seconds before the capcitors are drained...you can plug the amp back in to continue. At the time, it was a neat sales demonstation, and I've used it to show-off to my friends a couple of times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks