Noise Cancelling Headphones.

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by PatB, Jul 3, 2003.

1. PatB

PatB Stunt Coordinator

I'm wondering if anyone has had any experiences (positive or negative) with these and if anyone can make any recommendations.
    I'm facing the next few months with construction across the street from me and I'm on the verge of cracking up. I don't know if something like this could be a solution (earplugs certainly aren't and I've tried them all at this point) but I'd be willing to make the investment if only to make life a little easier.
    Thanks.

Hope this is the right forum. [​IMG]

2. John_Pang

John_Pang Extra

I use a set of these for airplane rides (I have Sennheisers and a cheap set of Panasonics). They are fairly effective in this capacity and do a good job of attenuating the noise. They are most effective against steady state noise and hum like air conditioners, vacuum cleaners...etc. Construction sounds are different though, and I am not sure you will get much benefit from them. You might try a set with a lot of sound insulation built into them, i.e. Bose units. They are expensive though, and of course some of us like to avoid "B" products. [​IMG]

3. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

I have used the Bose units on American Airlines transatlantic flights, and they work very, very well.

The beauty of these phones is that they seal around your ears, so even before you turn on the noise cancelling, they are pretty quite. With noise cancelling on, the effect is uncanny. They are also very comfortable.

I have not A/B'd then in terms of sound quality, but my CDs sounded pretty good when I was on the plane.

Of course, they are Bose which means that tend to be very expensive compared to competing products. As much as I like them, I can't see clear to dropping $300 for a pair.

BGL

4. PatB

PatB Stunt Coordinator

Well I wouldn't consider it myself except that I'm trying to hold onto my sanity through this noise. But if it was effective in quieting my surroundings it would certainly be worth it for me. I'm really not as worried about the sound quality as much as the noise cancelling capabilities.

5. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    You asked the right guy! [​IMG]

I bought the Bose $299 Headsets about 2 years ago.

They work phenominaly well. They DO cancel out
    engine rumble and any low-end noise. In fact,
    outside noise is significantly reduced with these
    headsets.

The quality of sound is exceptional.

Unfortunately for me and fortunately for you
    Bose has introduced a newer model at the same price.

Yes, these are costly, but they were well worth.

6. PatB

PatB Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Ron,
    When you say "low-end noise" what does that refer to specifically?
    My biggest concern is the beep beep beeping of the trucks when they're in reverse. That's the thing that really kills me.
    Did you try the free trial before you bought?

7. Page

Page Stunt Coordinator

Pat,

I know that you mentioned that you've tried all the different kinds of earplugs, BUT have you tried "Hushers"?They're made out of foam which you squeeze into a small rectangular shape and then insert into your ear canal. They then expand to your ear canal's dimensions to block out almost all sound. The cost is a couple of bucks for a box of 12 (reuseable) and they work remarkably well. If you haven't tried them, you might do so before buying a pair of expensive headphones. If you have tried them, and they didn't work, you've got a serious noise issue on your hands!

Just curious how these construction guys deal with the noise. They must be deaf by now.

8. PatB

PatB Stunt Coordinator

I have tried the conical foam ones and they can't block out the beeping at all. They're the same principal as the ones you describe I imagine so no they're no solution that's what's making me consider an expensive alternative. The construction guys wear earphones like one would for hunting and earplugs like the ones you describe too, but those are ok too dampen, I need something that will let me sleep for more than 2 hours at a time.
    And this is a very serious noise issue. Just out of curiousity, anyone know how long it takes for the noisiest stages of building a high rise to be completed. I'm hoping that once the foundation is done and they move inside life will be a little easier but I don't know when that's going to be.