1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

noise-cancelling headphones - redux

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by george kaplan, Sep 1, 2001.

1. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

There was a thread a while back about some really great noise-cancelling headphones (I believe used by AA). I really didn't pay attention at the time. And now I do a search but the thread doesn't come up.
    The reason I'm now interesting is that my job has moved into a new building and with the typical stupid corporate logic, my office has become a cubicle. [​IMG]. The noise from other people makes it nearly impossible to do my work, so I listen to music through headphones. But even that doesn't always work, with classical music especially the obnoxious laughter of other people not doing their job prevents me from doing mine.
    So, if anyone remembers the headphones that were recommended, or can point me to the thread, I would appreciate it.
    ------------------
    13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

2. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

I believe the manufacturer was Bose?
    You have another option though, and that is earplug-style headphones. I have a set of Sony EX70LP that block out surrounding noises quite well on their own, and once you add music it has to be exceedingly loud around you to be noticeable. They are also far cheaper than the actively noise-cancelling phones. They need a week or two of breaking in though, I found them a bit sharp at first and a bit lacking in the midrange.
    Takes a little time (couple of days to a week perhaps) to get used to the sensation of having your ears plugged but nowadays I love it. I tend to wear mine (hooked up to my Pocket PC doing double duty as an MP3-player) when in any situation where I want to not have to hear my surroundings... like a really noisy restaurant where I sometimes eat (conveniently located in the same building as my work), on an aircraft, on a ship etc. Earplugs can be worn on the town etc without drawing attention to themselves too.
    If you want really high quality sound and even better isolation there is the ER-4-series from http://www.etymotic.com - I have never had the pleasure of trying them yet but everything I've read so far has been positive.
    Etymotic Research makes normal earplugs too, so the ER-4's should be very good at blocking out noise.
    Just wanted to point out the alternatives to noise cancelling technology.
    ------------------
    /Kimmo

3. EricN

EricN Stunt Coordinator

George, I have these noise canceling headphones from Sony. I love'em! The are in ear style so they are unobtrusive and they work great with any CD Player or walkman type set up.
    Sony noise-canceling headphones MDRNC10
    Here is a link for pricing...
    http://www.bizrate.com/marketplace/s...dphones&ir=730
    Enjoy!
    ------------------
    [email protected]