What's new

Pre-Order Noir Archive Volume 2: 1954-1956 (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Stalwart noir directors and casts highlight nine more hard to find features: Bait (1954) dir/Hugo Haas cst/Cleo Moore, Hugo Haas, John Agar; The Crooked Web (1955) dir/Nathan Juran cst/Frank Lovejoy, Mari Blanchard, Richard Denning; The Night Holds Terror (1955) dir/Andrew Stone cst/Jack Kelly, Hildy Parks, Vince Edwards, John Cassavetes, David Cross; Footsteps in the Fog (1955) dir/Arthur Lubin cst/Bill Travers, Ronald Squire, Finlay Currie, Belinda Lee; Cell 2455, Death Row (1955) dir/Fred F. Sears cst/William Campbell, Robert Campbell, Marian Carr; 5 Against the House (1955) dir/Phil Karlson cst/Alvy Moore, William Conrad, Kerwin Mathews; New Orleans Uncensored (1955) dir/William Castle cst/Arthur Franz, Beverly Garland, Helene Stanton; Spin a Dark Web (1955)...

Continue reading...

Attachments

• 8134kVBnJWL._SX522_.jpg
    8134kVBnJWL._SX522_.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 158
Last edited by a moderator:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I'm interested, assuming this comes from Sony. I already have two of the titles but there are some real rarities in that collection.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm interested, assuming this comes from Sony. I already have two of the titles but there are some real rarities in that collection.
I'm interested too, but I'm waiting on reviews for the first volume that is now delayed until April 23rd. I don't have any faith in this Kit Parker company.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I ordered Volume 1 on Diabolis website and I should have it today. Ill probably start with 711 Ocean Drive as IMHO that was the key title in the set. :)

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Ive watched 3 films on Volume 1 and I was pleasantly surprised. They do look pretty colid at least the ones I watched. Im pretty sure these are Sony created HD masters. The packaging is a standard Blu ray case with discs 2 and 3 stacked on top of each other. The label for discs 2 and 3 are misplaced, as the movies on disc two are actually on disc 3. Basically as an example, disc 2's label says 711 Ocean Drive, The Miami Story and Assignment Paris, but the actual movies are on disc 3.
It also says Mill Creek on the back

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ive watched 3 films on Volume 1 and I was pleasantly surprised. They do look pretty colid at least the ones I watched. Im pretty sure these are Sony created HD masters. The packaging is a standard Blu ray case with discs 2 and 3 stacked on top of each other. The label for discs 2 and 3 are misplaced, as the movies on disc two are actually on disc 3. Basically as an example, disc 2's label says 711 Ocean Drive, The Miami Story and Assignment Paris, but the actual movies are on disc 3.
It also says Mill Creek on the back
That says it all right there.;)

Henry Krinkle

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert
By the titles listed in both Volume 1 and now Volume 2, I am of the opinion that we have seen all the "cream" in this style. If their still are great, or almost great, titles still to make to the market then I would like to hear what they are. Any suggestions?

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Other reviews I'm seeing are all saying these transfers have various issues - of course they do. I do wonder at Kit Parker's involvement in this set. The Black Book, for example, as far as I know, has been a PD title. Are the others? Or was this simply part of the Mill Creek Sony package of old transfers? So, where does Kit Parker fit in?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
By the titles listed in both Volume 1 and now Volume 2, I am of the opinion that we have seen all the "cream" in this style. If their still are great, or almost great, titles still to make to the market then I would like to hear what they are. Any suggestions?
There are several great film noirs from Columbia that are still not on Blu-ray. A couple off the top of my head are "The Sniper", "The Lineup", "Scandal Sheet", "Johnny O'Clock" and several more titles.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Well Mill Creek doesnt do HD masters but they slap them on BD 25s .. Ive been really pleased with the image quality

Martin_Teller

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Teller
There are several great film noirs from Columbia that are still not on Blu-ray. A couple off the top of my head are "The Sniper", "The Lineup", "Scandal Sheet", "Johnny O'Clock" and several more titles.

Seconding most of these (not a huge fan of Johnny O'Clock) and a bunch more I'd call must-haves:

The Burglar
Nightmare Alley
Beyond the Forest
Blast of Silence
Murder by Contract
The Phenix City Story
Betrayed/When Strangers Marry
Human Desire
One Way Street
The Set-Up
Thieves' Highway
The Threat
Quicksand
Time Table
The Gangster
Act of Violence
Chicago Calling
Journey Into Fear
No Way Out
Riff Raff
The Two Mrs. Carrolls
Without Warning!

EDIT: I just realized you were talking about Columbia specifically... oh well

Real Name
Tim
Other reviews I'm seeing are all saying these transfers have various issues - of course they do. I do wonder at Kit Parker's involvement in this set. The Black Book, for example, as far as I know, has been a PD title. Are the others? Or was this simply part of the Mill Creek Sony package of old transfers? So, where does Kit Parker fit in?[/QUOT
Kit Parker’s involvement is confusing. To make it even more confusing, I thought MVD was distributing this set?
I’m certain these are all the Sony transfers used for past sets and MODs, including The Black Book. The good news is that most of the black and white films looked good on DVD and will look fine on Blu. I expect that color titles like Footsteps in the Fog won’t look so good. As I mentioned above, I can’t imagine these getting new scans anytime soon. But to get Address Unknown and The Black Book in high def for 4 bucks a pop? I couldn’t pass on that!

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Personally, the main Sony-owned noir I would like to see on Blu-ray is the 1955 Tight Spot with Ginger Rogers. I hope that one is coming soon, either in the next volume of this series or through somebody else.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks