What's new

Noir Archive Volume 1: 1944-1954 9 Movie Collection (1 Viewer)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I contacted Kit Parker by e-mail. I encouraged him strongly but politely not to use DNR or video processing on the Sony/Columbia noirs like what happened on The French Way.

Here is his response back to me.

So the masters from Sony won't be processed in any way.

Thanks for writing, that is very good news and the answer that I would have hoped for.
This could be older HD masters from Sony that still should look good enough to make a difference when released on Blu-ray, I guess we will see soon enough.

I see on his website that he is very easy to reach so it will probably not hurt if more of us write to him pointing out that we will be happy to buy if these turn out well and not smoothed over.

And while I think that a BD50 is just enough for three movies it also means that encoding has to be done with more care than if only two movies were put on each disc so it may help to point that out, too.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I contacted Kit Parker by e-mail. I encouraged him strongly but politely not to use DNR or video processing on the Sony/Columbia noirs like what happened on The French Way.

Here is his response back to me.

So the masters from Sony won't be processed in any way.
I'm encouraged, but I'm still waiting on reviews before I buy this boxset.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Sounds like a Twilight TIme kind of thing where they just distribute the films and the master comes from Sony. Ill wait for reviews but Ill probably get it anyway as the set would have to be really awful for me to pass on it :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I was only saying that three discs should be fine for these particular nine movies. I'm not buying this BD release until I see some reviews or read some comments from others on this forum. I've learned my lessons from dealing with companies like Film Detective.
I bought this from Amazon for $34.99 and used some bonus points to get the final shipped cost below $30 as the reviews seem pretty positive. None of them are pristine, but they appear to be much better than Film Detective releases.

I think my shipment should arrive by tomorrow as I plan on watching some of these titles next week.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I bought this from Amazon for $34.99 and used some bonus points to get the final shipped cost below $30 as the reviews seem pretty positive. None of them are pristine, but they appear to be much better than Film Detective releases.

I think my shipment should arrive by tomorrow as I plan on watching some of these titles next week.

I did the same when it hit $34.99 last week. I've watched 3 of them so far (The Black Book is a terrific movie that I'd never seen) and am pleased with the quality. Not perfect, but certainly better than a DVD release and these aren't titles that are likely to ever get a 2K/4K restoration.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I did the same when it hit $34.99 last week. I've watched 3 of them so far (The Black Book is a terrific movie that I'd never seen) and am pleased with the quality. Not perfect, but certainly better than a DVD release and these aren't titles that are likely to ever get a 2K/4K restoration.
Yeah, I forgot to purchase it at that time and pricing bumped up to $39.99, but dropped back down to $34.99 yesterday so I jumped on it.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I was lucky that I got to see The Black Book in 35mm before the film slipped into PD hell. I just could not believe my eyes: the light coming out of those deep black areas! A master of lighting, Mr. Alton.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
"The Black Book" has never looked better on home video. All other titles look very good except for "The Miami Story" which shows some age here and there.

Thanks, that is nice to hear.

For people who like to have a look at screencaps they also look pretty good over at DVDBeaver, even The Miami Story looks decent:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/dvd_reviews_59/the_miami_story.htm

For people who have had doubts about bitrate these movies are short enough to allow for an average bitrate that is well above 20 mbps so Kit Parker made good use of the available space and there is not exactly Lawrence of Arabia level of detail and color at work here so given the content one can see how they got the idea to put three movies on a single disc.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thanks, that is nice to hear.

For people who like to have a look at screencaps they also look pretty good over at DVDBeaver, even The Miami Story looks decent:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/dvd_reviews_59/the_miami_story.htm

For people who have had doubts about bitrate these movies are short enough to allow for an average bitrate that is well above 20 mbps so Kit Parker made good use of the available space and ther eis not exactly Lawrence of Arabia level of detail and color at work here so given the content one can see how they got the idea to put three movies on a single disc.
I received my Blu-ray yesterday. I plan on watching some of these titles this week. I had 2 of those 9 titles on DVD which were "Ocean 711" and "The Killer that Stalked New York". Truth be told, I've only watched the former film on DVD so I'm looking forward to revisiting it along with some new titles that I've never seen.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I received my Blu-ray yesterday. I plan on watching some of these titles this week. I had 2 of those 9 titles on DVD which were "Ocean 711" and "The Killer that Stalked New York". Truth be told, I've only watched the former film on DVD so I'm looking forward to revisiting it along with some new titles that I've never seen.

I only had the Black Book on DVD, did not watch it so far and now I never will as I am getting the set :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks