What's new

Noir Alley on TCM (1 Viewer)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I'm going to San Francisco for a week at the end of January.
I think I'll see a few film noir movies since the film noir festival will be that week.
Movies will be announced on Dec 20th.

Here was last year's lineup.
A lot of stuff was shown in 35mm
http://www.noircity.com/nc15p1.html

Last edited:

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
side-street.jpg

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Enjoying this 'series,' though I didn't like the copout ending of "Side Street." There is no happy ever after when the protagonists makes such a tragic mistake in noir; that's why it's noir. As noted in after comments, the original ending was changed and another writer softened the narration. That narration knocked the noir out it.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I'm running a week behind on these but, wow, "Raw Deal," what a... 'breath of fresh air.' Non-stop plot narrative, great directing, acting, dialogue, superb cinematography and the perfect creepy noir score using a theremin, of all things (what an inspired use). I don't know why I was never familiar with this film before, but perhaps I just wasn't paying attention because I didn't know any of the main stars. But then you also see Raymond Burr playing a heavy so well it definitely must have cinched his casting in "Rear Window." Man, was he an evil pyromaniac in this, obsessed with his little flames.

There were definitely some moments you are left to understand happened, but were left out of the film to not further offend what already had blasphemed the production code guy who wanted this script to never be made. Joe and Ann definitely 'got together' when he mentions 'last night,' and she was tortured with the lighter by Raymond Burr's character Rick (but all you see is him coming back in the room and saying she didn't know anything). Earlier we saw him torch one of his lackey's ear with the lighter, so we knew what must have happened, despite her showing up at the end intact.

So glad I taped and watched this one. I have all the WB noir collections and a couple of the Columbia ones, but this one was easily a topper, and a noir masterpiece. I'm still floored by the whole production on this and what an noir novice I am for missing it before.

If any other noir fans out there haven't seen this, check it out at! It's the REAL deal.

I just now see a special blu-ray edition is coming out in December. Definitely one for the collection.

https://www.amazon.com/Raw-Deal-Blu...d=1509299111&sr=1-2&keywords=raw+deal+blu+ray

Last edited:

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I don't believe I've ever seen Split Second. which is coming up this Sunday.

MV5BNjc1NjkzZGMtYTVmZi00MzQ5LTkyOWYtMzY3ZTE3NWVmODdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUxODE0MDY@._V1_.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
On Sunday November 12 Film Noir fans will be peering into...

MV5BZjExOWQ1MDgtZjVmMS00MzJhLWI2MmUtZTVhN2M2ZTk2NzAxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUxODE0MDY@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,1278,1000_AL_.jpg
It wasn't a week ago that I was channel surfing and it was playing on TCM. On second thought it was a DVR recording that I was watching and deleted. The recording was for another movie, but it recorded the beginning of The Window.

Last edited:

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Eddie Muller always has something interesting to say, and there is a lot that can be said about Bobby's life after his Disney contract was terminated.

Last edited:

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It may be Sunday morning in the country, but if you take a turn down Noir Alley tomorrow it will be...

c88a1e8408e8ed03516fd6367b8e02ed--film-poster-movie-posters.jpg

NIGHT AND THE CITY

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'll record it to get Eddie's pre and post comments, but I reviewed the movie on Criterion and have seen it numerous times, so I'll speed through the actual film tomorrow.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I know I'm getting old when I record TCM's airing of "Night and the City" on DVR, and then 10 minutes in realize that I not only have seen it within the last year, but the Criterion is sitting in my bookshelf. Sigh.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I know I'm getting old when I record TCM's airing of "Night and the City" on DVR, and then 10 minutes in realize that I not only have seen it within the last year, but the Criterion is sitting in my bookshelf. Sigh.
Also, the Criterion has both versions of the film.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Again, just like last week, I'll record the show just to hear Eddie's comments before and after the film. I have no need to actually watch the movie so soon after watching the wonderful Blu-ray of it several times over the last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks