What's new

Nobody mentioned it yet? (The End of Plasma) (1 Viewer)

nigel19

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
nigel
schan1269 said:
Really...so you'll never care for RAH's "A few words about"...That, there....is a great joke.
I don't expect those to be an accurate description of what I will be looking at . As with most reviews they are a guide and give someones personal opinion . A well informed opinion - but opinion nonetheless.

I never let a review stop me from buying any release as there are so many reviews about and so many differing opinions. And you know what they say about opinions.
And the one and only time I should have listened was with Spartacus . One of the worst Blurays ever.
But all these other comments ( not from RAH) regarding whether the ratio is right -"There's a sliver of image too much at the top we shouldn't be seeing" or colour grading "This movie is set in the 1850's and electricity wasn't invented then so surely the image is too bright for an interior lit by lantern" are given the due consideration they deserve.

Reviews can be a useful guide but it quickly becomes apparent which reviews are written by people living in the real world and which ones are written by those in ivory towers thinking they are better than everyone else with their hi spec gear that's so brilliant it's being discontinued by the manufacturer.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
nigel19 said:
I don't expect those to be an accurate description of what I will be looking at .
The whole point of screen calibration is that even when people view on different types of display the image should look similiar, we can agree completely regarding Spartacus, a shocking release and it's time Universal redid it, the film is a classic.

nigel19

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
nigel
FoxyMulder said:
The whole point of screen calibration is that even when people view on different types of display the image should look similiar, we can agree completely regarding Spartacus, a shocking release and it's time Universal redid it, the film is a classic.

Yes but the only thing I'm interested in is what the picture looks like to me which is why I calibrate my own.
When it comes to viewing tv images I have 50 years of my own experience so I value my own opinion over others.
The reason sets have so many different settings is because images are down to personal preference . If there was one perfect setting we wouldn't need all these controls to adjust.

The bottom line is that some people like brighter images than others . That doesn't mean one person is right or wrong or vice versa.

Spartacus - one of my all time faves . I actually prefer the Criterion dvd to the Blu .
Mind you the UK Blu of the original Straw Dogs is even worse

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
nigel19 said:
If there was one perfect setting we wouldn't need all these controls to adjust.

The bottom line is that some people like brighter images than others . That doesn't mean one person is right or wrong or vice versa.
Yes if they like brighter images they are wrong, of course a daytime calibrated mode and night mode is correct for a tv.

I have a meter and software, it doesn't cost a fortune to buy, you get your contrast and brightness and sharpness correct using a disc like Spears and Munsil 2nd Edition and then you use the meter, the meter tells us what our eyes cannot, it allows me to dial in the greyscale and gamma and then using the CMS i can get the colours practically perfect so that what i am viewing on the disc is more or less what another person who has properly calibrated their set sees, so yes there is a right and wrong to screen calibration.

I have a good link, worth a read, i use this software but Calman is also good.

http://www.chromapure.com/colorscience.asp

nigel19

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
nigel
FoxyMulder said:
Yes if they like brighter images they are wrong.

I have a meter and software, it doesn't cost a fortune to buy, you get your contrast and brightness and sharpness correct using a disc like Spears and Munsil 2nd Edition and then you use the meter, the meter tells us what our eyes cannot, it allows me to dial in the greyscale and gamma and then using the CMS i can get the colours practically perfect so that what i am viewing on the disc is more or less what another person who has properly calibrated their set sees, so yes there is a right and wrong to screen calibration.

I disagree totally.
Images on a tv are down to personal preference 100%.
I really don't give a hoot about something that eyes cannot tell me so I don't need a meter to tell me something that I cannot see.

I got some calibration dvd's in the early days but apart from being able to set the audio levels I discovered the rest was irrelevant .

Why don't tv's come all preset to this mythical "perfect" setting then? It's because people like to watch images that please them . When I'm watching tv nobody else's opinion matters.
If I like the image I see I don't care if Robert A Harris himself would roll his eyes at my settings . It does not matter. He can set his display the way he likes it .
It's called choice

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
nigel19 said:
Images on a tv are down to personal preference 100%.
I really don't give a hoot about something that eyes cannot tell me so I don't need a meter to tell me something that I cannot see.
In the world of home cinema accurate calibration is very important, please reconsider your stance.

As an example, set your brightness control wrong and you clip black and lose detail that was meant to be seen, you can go the other way and it could be set too light and you see detail that was never meant to be seen, if your white balance is off then the colours are off, if your sharpness control is too high you add edge halo's to the image, calibration is very important.

Just read the link supplied and do some homework, open your eyes to this, i took time to learn my hobby, you can too, i must stress i am not being elitist, this has to do with accuracy of the display, be it LCD, plasma, OLED or a projector, you have to try and make it accurate, that is why they have more controls and a CMS, for accuracy not so you can make it brighter if you wish.

nigel19

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
nigel
FoxyMulder said:
You are very wrong.

I also think enough has been said then because in the world of home cinema accurate calibration is very important.

As an example, set your brightness control wrong and you clip black and lose detail that was meant to be seen, you can go the other way and it could be set too light and you see detail that was never meant to be seen, if your white balance is off then the colours are off, if your sharpness control is too high you add edge halo's to the image, calibration is very important.

Just read the link supplied and do some homework, open your eyes to this, i took time to learn my hobby, you can too, i must stress i am not being elitist, this has to do with accuracy of the display, be it LCD, plasma, OLED or a projector, you have to try and make it accurate, that is why they have more controls and a CMS, for accuracy not so you can make it brighter if you wish.

You can't say I'm wrong anymore than I can say you are wrong for voting Democrat ( if you did).
I've already been through this .
I have 50 years of watching tv and I know what I like to watch . I really could not care less about recommendations from so called experts . These experts are the same numpties who are still recommending I buy a plasma tv .
Thanks but no thanks.

The end result is that the viewer needs to be happy with the images they watch . And I am . And I didn't need to pay a professional or buy other gear to do it .
I can't really see why you need to know that the professionals like your tv pictures .
All that matters is whether you like it .
I've done quite a few installs in my time and some of the pictures I've seen have been dreadful with colour contrast etc all set to levels I wouldn't be happy with .
But those people were happy with them . You can adjust the settings and say it looks better but if they don't like it they'll change it back . And that's their choice . It's their tv and it's they who are watching it .
I may not like it but I don't have to watch it so who cares?

Frankly I've read enough opinions and comments from so called experts over the decades to know their opinions are often not worth anything .

It may be different in the US but I think if you read off your list of meters and other gear to people over here most would say Elitist was a generous term.

But hey - lets just agree to differ . We can still both enjoy and discuss all the great content thats being released - even if my pictures are brighter than yours

I've enjoyed chatting with you but the air of arrogance from the other guy means I shall stick to the non equipment forums I think.
I didn't realise that if your opinions didn't match an HTF Reviewer that you were automatically a troll.
Thanks again

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
nigel19 said:
You can't say I'm wrong anymore than I can say you are wrong for voting Democrat ( if you did).

You can adjust the settings and say it looks better but if they don't like it they'll change it back . And that's their choice .

It may be different in the US but I think if you read off your list of meters and other gear to people over here most would say Elitist was a generous term.
I can categorically state that you are wrong with your views on screen calibration, there is a standard, those who apply that standard get much better images on their televisions/projectors/computers, those who take your view do not, i'll leave it at that.

It's not being elitist to suggest screen calibration is very important, at the very least using a disc gets your display looking better but, trust me when i say that more and more people who are into home cinema are buying their own meters and calibrating their displays, the i1 Pro Display 3 as it's known in the UK is not expensive but it is very accurate, well worth investing in.

P.S. Politics has nothing whatsoever to do with screen calibration, i'm from Scotland, not the USA.

nigel19

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
nigel
FoxyMulder said:
I can categorically state that you are wrong with your views on screen calibration, there is a standard, those who apply that standard get much better images on their televisions/projectors/computers, those who take your view do not, i'll leave it at that.

It's not being elitist to suggest screen calibration is very important, at the very least using a disc but trust me when i say that more and more people who are into home cinema are buying their own meters and calibrating their displays, the i1 Pro Display 3 as it's known in the UK is not expensive but it is very accurate, well worth investing in.

P.S. Politics has nothing whatsoever to do with screen calibration, i'm from the UK and Scotland, not the USA.

I don't really want to continue this so please try not to reply to this . I'll try and make it clear.
If there is a "standard" why don't sets come preset to it?

Answer : because not all people like the same sort of images . People have personal preferences.

I've said it before . Its my tv . I'm watching it . The only opinion about whats on the screen that matters is mine .

If my settings do not match the settings that a professional would set I do not care one bit . Not at all.

PS Your PS indicates you misunderstood my post . I know politics has nothing to do with it .

nigel19

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
nigel
schan1269 said:
I wonder if GL and JK are eating some popcorn...
schan1269 said:
On a sidetrack...Nigel...Is your audio EQ set for "sizzle"?

Those posts are about as useful as the majority of what you've posted and I'll give them all the due consideration they deserve.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Why don't displays come "pre-calibrated"...Wow. Just wow.The display is calibrated for the room it is in. If you buy two of the same exact TV and put them in different situations...the calibrations are different.

nigel19

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
nigel
schan1269 said:
Why don't displays come "pre-calibrated"...Wow. Just wow.The display is calibrated for the room it is in. If you buy two of the same exact TV and put them in different situations...the calibrations are different.
Different settings ? Who would have thought it ?
For the last time . The only opinion that matters is of the person watching it .
If a person has a set where the adjustments don't match that of the calibration disc who really cares ? Only you.

(Nice to see you are still unable to post without the familiar air of arrogance. It's absolutely incredible to believe that anyone anywhere would come to you for advice on anything)

Although I expect when someone posts and bows to your superior knowledge rather than immediately making it clear they think your opinion is crap it might be different

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
nigel19 said:
If there is a "standard" why don't sets come preset to it?

Answer : because not all people like the same sort of images . People have personal preferences.
You calibrate for the room you are in, the room plays a huge part in this, even more so for projectors.

It is irrelevant whether people like torch mode on their televisions or whether they like the sharpness cranked up high or the brightness or any other control, the content we view is mastered to be watched on calibrated televisions/projectors, its not about personal preference, i see we are going nowhere with this but calibration is very important and we are at a site called Home Theater Forum, humour me and read that link i supplied above, it helps a lot to understand my position.

nigel19

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
nigel
schan1269 said:
No, I just like dangling carrots on a stick...
Don't they call that trolling?
FoxyMulder said:
You calibrate for the room you are in, the room plays a huge part in this, even more so for projectors.

It is irrelevant whether people like torch mode on their televisions or whether they like the sharpness cranked up high or the brightness or any other control, the content we view is mastered to be watched on calibrated televisions/projectors, its not about personal preference, i see we are going nowhere with this but calibration is very important and we are at a site called Home Theater Forum, humour me and read that link i supplied above, it helps a lot to understand my position.
Sorry - the comment in bold means we've reached the end of the road here .
Let's agree to differ.

Yes its HTF so I'll return to the software and leave you knowledgeable guys to the hardware

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
nigel19 said:
Don't they call that trolling?Sorry - the comment in bold means we've reached the end of the road here .Let's agree to differ.Yes its HTF so I'll return to the software and leave you knowledgeable guys to the hardware
So you are going to go wax prophetic on color accuracy and picture quality on BD/DVD?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
nigel19 said:
Sorry - the comment in bold means we've reached the end of the road here .
Let's agree to differ.
I think personal preference and calibration are not the same, we should be striving for accuracy at the display level.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks