What's new

Nobody mentioned it yet? (The End of Plasma) (1 Viewer)

nigel19

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
nigel
schan1269 said:
Greatest joke post...ever.
Yeah right .
Plasma is great.

Oh hang on a minute . Every manufacturer out there is stopping making them because they're so great and so popular .

Inevitably quality of images is down to personal preference .
The fact that plasma is dead shows you where your preference sits . End of story

nigel19

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
nigel
DaveF said:
Movies on my Plasma look like movies. Movies on LCDs, at friends and family, look like soap operas. Is this fixed in more recent LCD TVs?
Maybe if you or friends and family knew how to set it up you wouldn't have such problems.

I've found the factory presets of all the Panasonic sets I've tried to be quite dreadful for exactly the reasons you say .
But switch off the Frame Creation and Smooth Film options and the VT looking images are gone

nigel19

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
nigel
schan1269 said:
Because LCD was never intended for motion to begin with.It needs gimmicks and tricks.

Maybe have a look at newer models . You'll see that most new sets come with all the bells whistles and tricks switched on . All you need to do is switch them off .
I immediately switch off every processing trick the Panasonic includes to get the purest picture . Motion issues are half a decade old . Review something new .

I've looked at recent Panasonic plasmas side by side with LCD/LED.
One has detail the other doesn't.

There's a reason plasma is dying - because its shit. Presumably consumers prefer the bright images of LCD to the drab dullness of plasma. Certainly when I buy a set price does not come into it and never has .
Or perhaps you have another reason .

I'm surprised as a so called "reviewer" that opinions backed up with real life reasons and experience get written off with smartarse one line replies just because they don't agree with your view.

If I was a manufacturer I'd be selling product that people wanted to buy . Plasma dying tells us one thing . Most people don't want one.

nigel19

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
nigel
Richard Gallagher said:
Obviously anyone interested in buying a plasma TV should act now while they're still available. OneCall in Spokane has some good prices on Samsung plasmas.

I've had my Panny plasma for five years and it looks as good as when I first had it calibrated.
I can believe that

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
nigel19 said:
Yeah right . Plasma is great.Oh hang on a minute . Every manufacturer out there is stopping making them because they're so great and so popular .Inevitably quality of images is down to personal preference .The fact that plasma is dead shows you where your preference sits . End of story
Plasma is dead because companies cater to the lowest common denominator instead of quality.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Plasma failed to sell in shops because under shop lighting LCD and its superior brightness levels always looked better.

I also believe early plasma models and stories of it burning people when they touched the screen affected sales, they fixed that problem but bad media tends to hang around, you can get good looking images on an LCD, of course you can, some very good LCD sets out there but i still consider the higher end plasma superior, we shouldn't argue though, live and let live.

I also wonder how much it cost to produce plasma sets compared to LCD and whether new rules on energey consumption had an effect on the decision to stop selling it, here in Europe some Vacuum brands are in trouble because rules state the power they consume must be cut, that of course means inferior vacuums will be the norm as suction power is decreased.

nigel19

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
nigel
FoxyMulder said:
Plasma failed to sell in shops because under shop lighting LCD and its superior brightness levels always looked better.
That may be true in a few cases but in general I don't think it holds up.

Every tv I've ever bought has been auditioned in the room where I watch it . As the set I look at in the showroom is not the same unit that gets delivered to my door I reserve judgement until its installed.

When I purchased the plasma that I returned after 7 days it was for the same picture problems plasma exhibited when I viewed them in the showroom . I actually purchased the plasma off the cuff as I needed a 3D set at the time and Panasonic were on the cusp of releasing their first non plasma 3D sets ( I'm in the UK BTW).
The picture was so bad I went back to standard non 3D for a while and waited .

No idea why my wife got headaches watching it but I have heard of other instances of that .

I think because of the motion issues that LCD used to get ( and probably still do on cheaper makes) plasma was generally favoured here in the UK too but even fans of plasma here are now admitting that the motion problem is no more and broadcasters such as the BBC are now starting to use LED units as monitors in their studios - no doubt very high end ones in comparison though.

nigel19

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
nigel
schan1269 said:
I smell troll.
And you call me a joke.Don't you mean "Oh oh - someone has dared disagree with my "expert" opinion and I don't have a response".Maybe because you have "HTF Reviewer" next to your name you think you should get some kind of [] respect from other members.2 posts you've put into this thread and you've contributed nothing .How about a reasoned argument to support your opinion or is that asking too muchI'm still laughing at the word "expert" above your name.Expert in what ?

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
For those of you lucky enough to already own, can someone please confirm if the Samsung PN64F8500 definitely has an Ethernet port - I have come across conflicting Specification statements (maybe there was a difference between initial and final productions ?) out there but would like to be sure. I know that it has Wi-Fi but would much prefer a wired connection in my setup.

Plus any good deals out there on this specific unit ? Thanks in anticipation.

Regards,

nigel19

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
nigel
schan1269 said:
Not from you though.
3 posts and still nothing . Perhaps post when you have something worthwhile . Maybe your "expert" status could explain the phenomena of headaches while viewing plasma as it seems to be not uncommon.If not - anything useful is welcome

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I've been doing AV since the days of Quadraphonic. I've owned ever type of display there is, except LCD anything.Why?Cause LCD loses in every single category.gaming speed.The absolute fastest LCD TV and projector, there is a faster plasma and DLP/LCoS.The "best" black levels. There is a plasma or LCoS that beats it.Motion control. LCD here is a total joke.LCD uses more electricity attempting to create black...than a plasma uses to create white.Shall I continue?

nigel19

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
nigel
schan1269 said:
I've been doing AV since the days of Quadraphonic. I've owned ever type of display there is, except LCD anything.Why?Cause LCD loses in every single category.gaming speed.The absolute fastest LCD TV and projector, there is a faster plasma and DLP/LCoS.The "best" black levels.There is a plasma or LCoS that beats it.Motion control.LCD here is a total joke.LCD uses more electricity attempting to create black...than a plasma uses to create white.Shall I continue?

Thanks for your opinion at last .

I notice you say "LCD here" . Would that mean that sets sold in the UK might be different ?

I'm not a gamer so that's not been an issue but I did see the motion issues on my earliest LCD set but usually only on credits of movies etc.
I understand that sport was sometimes a problem but as I rarely watch sport that may have bypassed me too.

I've only ever gone on one thing . Picture quality. I try broadcast tv , dvds (both PAL and NTSC) and of course Bluray .
While the spec sheets of some sets may show their superiority I never care about them - the same as those who get their tv's professionally calibrated . It really doesn't matter what an expert thinks . They can advise and point you in the right direction but the bottom line is what I think when viewing sources on the screen which is always where I judge .

And side by side comparisons of plasma v lcd/led just don't look as good to me which is why I opted for the latter.
When I purchased the plasma in 2012 I had expected the difference to be minimal but I was wrong .

But thanks for your views anyway .
Incidentally I've been doing AV since the days of quadraphonic too . Another great success . Ahead of its time of course . And I still have just one quadraphonic vinyl left that I couldn't let go.

When I used to watch VHS in the mid 80's connected to my audio system people thought I was mad ( Hi Fi Stereo VHS could actually be quite good- the sound that is - we knew the picture was awful even before we invested in LD)

My earliest display was a dual standard tv but I'm guessing the history of displays differs a bit between the UK and US.
I'm amazed that it still seems to be the case that most US gear still cannot handle 50hz inputs.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
No, you like all the other [], think they are LED TV.No, they are LED, as opposed to ccfl, back(or even worse, edge) lit LCD.Nobody, on any forum, should ever use edge-lit LCD for BD reviews.

nigel19

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
nigel
schan1269 said:
No, you like all the other [], think they are LED TV.No, they are LED, as opposed to ccfl, back(or even worse, edge) lit LCD.Nobody, on any forum, should ever use edge-lit LCD for BD reviews.
The best set to review discs is the kind of set that most people will watch .A reviewer watching a movie on a screen type nobody will ever watch is a pointless review. If I read reviews I want to know what the disc will be like on my equipment - not on some kind of technosnob gear that few people will own.It would be rather like reading a review of my latest Bluray purchase from someone who sat and watched it on a cinema screen . No point .A review based on watching via a backlit LED would be great as it would tell me what to expect . Last time I looked being told what to expect was the purpose of reading a review . Not to read some spec sheet filled with graphs written by someone who think they're above everyone else because everybody else doesn't know what display to buy.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
nigel19 said:
The best set to review discs is the kind of set that most people will watch .A reviewer watching a movie on a screen type nobody will ever watch is a pointless review. If I read reviews I want to know what the disc will be like on my equipment - not on some kind of technosnob gear that few people will own.It would be rather like reading a review of my latest Bluray purchase from someone who sat and watched it on a cinema screen . No point .
Really...so you'll never care for RAH's "A few words about"...That, there....is a great joke.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks