What's new

Nobody Loves Raymond? (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
The most exposure I ever had to Raymond and his brother was when they were on a couple of episodes of The King of Queens before they spun-off those charactors.

EricW

Senior HTF Member

ELR was on before King of Queens. in fact Kevin James was on Raymond before he got King of Queens (as a different character).

though i agree about Anne Hathaway.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Eric,
are you positive about that? I could have sworn 'KoQ's' was on shortly before 'ELR'. I could be mistaken, though.

Thanks for noticing my sig. :)

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
I recently started watching ELR (about a year now). I usually have a few episodes on my Tivo to watch. I enjoy the show overall but, more than any other TV show I have ever watched, the episodes seem very uneven. Some I watch and find absolutely halarious others I don't even finish.

I liked the finale, thought it was nicely done.

-Keith

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Between syndication and first run episodes I have seen every episode of ELR. The chemistry between the characters, the jokes derived from their personalities, and the situational aspects of the comedy are factors that have always appealed to me. I don't always find the show laugh out funny, although it is consistently amusing; I believe the appeal for me is at least the familiarity with the characters and a sense of camaraderie with them; while marveling at how dysfunctional they can be at times.

The season finale was a fine episode and the final scene was just a perfect way to end the series, considering how much of the series took place in the kitchens of the two households. ( Reminded me somewhat of the final shot during a Thanksgiving episode - the one featuring the tofu turkey. )

- Walter.

JamieD

Supporting Actor
King of Queens is a few years newer. IMDB says so. :)

I hated ELR. I found the show painful and mean spirited, and Patricia Heaton (as an actress and a person) irritates me to no end. I tried again a few seasons later, and nothing seemed to have changed.

Perhaps in a few years my few on it will soften somewhat.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I think the "meh" feelings by a lot of members here is due to the fact that ELR was probably geared toward an older audience. Well, most shows on CBS are geared toward older generations, but ERL is definitely one that feels like it could capture younger viewers, but it really doesn't.

My mom LOVES this show and she even said to me (which shocked the hell out of me) that she wants Seasons 1-3 on DVD! :eek:

I watched the last episode (I never really watched the show, but figured the last one of any show is worth a peek). I didn't find it particularly great, but after speaking with my mom, she said how it ended perfectly that they all finally got along. I guess that's what the final shot (of them conversing nicely around the table) was supposed to signify.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I barley tolerate Raymond.

Raymond is always lying to Debra and trying to get out of trouble for doing something dumb, His parents are mean to each other and his brother is a doofus.

Never figured out why this show is popular; but I hope the fans liked the finale. :)

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
Some people don't understand how anyone can find Seinfeld funny, which always confused me. However, I'm of a different opinion for "...Raymond." I've tried watching it a few times, but it really never grabbed me. The aforementioned idea that its geared towards an older audience is more then likely correct.

EricW

Senior HTF Member

there are valid reasons to like/hate a show, but the quality of the characters may not be one of them. if you hate Raymond because the characters were bad, does that mean you hate Seinfeld? Family Guy? Malcolm? Arrested Development? does it also mean you love all those shows from the 50's where everyone was nice to eachother? :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
the people on this show are just cruel and mean spirited, hurtful.
no one on the show was likable, except maybe ray but barely.

seinfeld characters were selfish more then anything.
they were likable in spite of their flaws.
losers in a sense but likable.

John Milton

Second Unit
Well I admit it, I love Raymond... the show anyway. ;) I first started watching it during nightly reruns a couple of years ago. I've watched it ever since. I'm happy to own the first three seasons on DVD and can't wait to own the rest. As for the finale, it was very nice. A very good finale as opposed to a terrible finale like Seinfeld or Roseanne.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Eric,

Even if the 50's people were not nice to each other.

I Love Lucy and The Honeymooners are two good examples.

Fred and Ethel continually insulted each other. The relationship of Ralph and Alice borders on abuse according to some.

Funny these are two of the few sitcoms from the 50's we still see around today.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
true, it's clear to see those (not raymond)characters care for and love each other.

there is no indication the parents love or care about anyone but raymond.

hard to be sure even about ray and his wife.

havent watched the last ep yet but from what i have read they redemm themselves in this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks