What's new

Noah Hawley takes on the next Star Trek movie (1 Viewer)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Fair, Tino. I know DS9 started as gangbusters and, with the proliferation of syndicated competition TNG created, ratings went down over time...they usually do, obviously.

In relation to TNG ratings, they were down, but that's a 100% unfair comparison to make.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Fair, Tino. I know DS9 started as gangbusters and, with the proliferation of syndicated competition TNG created, ratings went down over time...they usually do, obviously.

In relation to TNG ratings, they were down, but that's a 100% unfair comparison to make.

Also, Paramount sacrificed DS9 because Voyager was the favorite son on the new Paramount network. The reason DS9 became serialized is because the studios took a hands-off approach, which is also why it was so good. And the reason Voyager suffered is because Paramount took a hands-on approach to it, wanting it to be everything for its new network. The result: Everyone loses, and the Trek brand suffered.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The box office of Star Trek Beyond might be revealing some damage to the Trek brand....

I think the damage to Beyond can be traced more specifically to a) increasing wait times between film releases at a time when other franchises had conditioned audiences to expect new installments every 12-18 months, b) a first trailer so bad that the director and screenwriter both came out and protested it, and then c) the refusal of the marketing department to create any new advertising materials for more than six months, letting the bad trailer serve as the only word on the film for far too long.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Imho DS9 was overall maybe the best of all of the Trek shows, but I think TNG and Voyager are also very good. Enterprise has good episodes every season, with the last season being quite strong, but overall Enterprise is my least favorite of the Trek shows before Discovery. Discovery now is my least favorite Trek.

The earlier Trek movies were all hit and miss. Off the top of my head, my ratings at the moment....

Star Trek: The Motion Picture: B+ (great moments mixed with mediocre ones)
Wrath of Khan: A-
Search for Spock: B
Voyage Home: A-
Final Frontier: D
Undiscovered Country: A-

Generations: A-
First Contact: B- (each time I watch this I like it less)
Insurrection: C-
Nemesis: B

Star Trek 09: B
Into Darkness: B-
Beyond: C-

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So, apparently the reporting on this is Hawley is out and this is now dead as are any further films with the "Kelvin" cast. They say there is absolutely no interest in funding anymore films in this Star Trek series. I guess the announcement of Hawley was just an attempt to see if there would be interest in funding another Star Trek picture with the Pine cast and there was not...not even a little. So, they are moving on.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
So, apparently the reporting on this is Hawley is out and this is now dead as are any further films with the "Kelvin" cast. They say there is absolutely no interest in funding anymore films in this Star Trek series. I guess the announcement of Hawley was just an attempt to see if there would be interest in funding another Star Trek picture with the Pine cast and there was not...not even a little. So, they are moving on.
Apparently this is just an unsubstantiated rumor on the old news that Simpson Pegg knows nothing.

Unless there is an official announcement the Hawley Trek film is still on.

I just did a search and nothing but this old news came up. Please provide a new link to a new story if there is one.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I will go look for where I read it I want to say Variety but I don't recall. I believe it was an article from the first week of January. The "they" in my comment is a reference to Paramount who was apparently testing the waters with Hawley to see how much interest there was/is.

I personally was disappointed to read this because I like these Star Trek films with Pine and company so I was for another one.

I think I came across it reading through the entertainment articles on MSN or something. I figured because there is a good Trek following here someone else likely would have already known or had posted about it. I guess not.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I did the same search Tino likely did in Google and came up blank. Also went to Variety and searched both Hawley and Star Trek. No movie news this year.

Frankly, and this has nothing to do with Hawley, I won't believe a new movie is actually coming until I see a trailer. We've gone through a number of news items on the director and we're still sitting at square one. Star Trek Beyond came out in 2016...we've had two seasons of Discovery, almost starting a new series with Picard, and we've had umpteen Short Treks. And the movie is still stuck in dry dock.

Fine. When it happens, I'll support it. But I'm done getting excited over the franchise's first female movie director or the dude everyone loves because of Stranger Things.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Apparently this is just an unsubstantiated rumor on the old news that Simpson Pegg knows nothing.

Unless there is an official announcement the Hawley Trek film is still on.

I just did a search and nothing but this old news came up. Please provide a new link to a new story if there is one.

OK, so I guess I did read it from some random entertainment article on MSN that popped up but the source article they quote is this:

https://boundingintocomics.com/2020/01/02/rumor-noah-hawleys-star-trek-film-dead-in-space/

So, they were just quoting this John Trent guy at Bounding into Comics and I don't actually know what that is nor who he is or how reliable he is.

I guess he or the people at Bounding into Comics reported it and then it was repeated with them as the source. One thing I would now note though having now looked at the "source" article is Trent and Bounding do put the word "Rumor" in their article title so they are not reporting it as fact. So, the thing I read made it more misleading looking like it was a fact.

You know...the internet.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Searching around I also just found this video about this. They also are using that Bounding into Comics article as a source but claim they have their own sources as well. The interesting thing here is they make this out to be Paramount attempting to dump involvement with Bad Robot so Paramount will control all the merchandising rights. So the reason Paramount wants to end the "Kelvin" Trek series is that Bad Robot has a piece of that series. So, sounds like Paramount, according to whomever made that video, does want to get back into the Star Trek business but not the series of films with Pine and company because they would need to share that with Bad Robot.

This lines up with the comment I read that says Paramount has said they will not ever be involved with a new "Kelvin" Star Trek.

Honestly, I did not know that Paramount only did the "Kelvin" thing due to some licensing issue. I thought the "Kelvin" thing was just JJ being cute.

So, some fans think the Chris Pine films are not real Trek and so they are happy that Paramount is going to return to "real Trek?"

This is where stuff like this just gets confusing to me. Probably people here that understand what is being discussed in that video more than me.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
It's Midnight's Edge. They are negative on pretty much all Trek. I put them in the same camp as Overlord DVD/Doomcock...unreliable and fans with an ax to grind.

The licensing issue is accurate, from what I know with other sources.

What some fans think of Kelvin Trek doesn't matter. It's canon and it happened...ESPECIALLY if the big events from Trek 09 form the basis of the Picard series.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I tend to ignore the Kelvin timeline as it doesn't matter to me and adds absolutely nothing to the Star Trek mythos. If anything, it takes away. I'll give Picard series a try when I am on vacation out of the country.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
It's Midnight's Edge. They are negative on pretty much all Trek. I put them in the same camp as Overlord DVD/Doomcock...unreliable and fans with an ax to grind.

Yes, I don't know who any of these people are. So, no clue if they have an agenda of some sort. Sounds realistic though if Paramount wants to get rid of Bad Robot, I can see that being true. If the "Kelvin" thing is the only Trek Bad Robot has a piece of then that would totally explain why Paramount has been dragging their heels. It also would explain why there are talks of different Star Trek movies and why these movies are all sort of just in limbo. Paramount wants to cut out Bad Robot.

I mean I can't think of a lot of reasons why they would not want to make another film from a well known franchise. That's all these companies want to do these days so why not just get to it?

What some fans think of Kelvin Trek doesn't matter.

I have to admit I never really knew what "Kelvin" Trek was and at least now I know they did it so they could make more films.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Why are we posting vulture clickbait videos as if they represent actual journalism and then treating them as if they’re offering real news?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
“Studio worried over Picard”?

Yeah, so worried they ordered a second season before the first even premiered.

Calling bullshit on that site.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Why are we posting vulture clickbait videos as if they represent actual journalism and then treating them as if they’re offering real news?

I quite obviously was not treating them as journalism nor as "real news" and said exactly that. I said specifically that I don't know who Bounding into Comics is and I don't know who Trent is and I don't know who made that video. I posted them because Tino asked where I had heard that and I could not recall. Then Tino said he searched around and could find nothing on it. So, I searched and ended up finding the source article, which I also pointed out specifically calls this a rumor. Then I found the video which also used Bounding into Comics as a source...pointed that out as well.

So, nobody and specifically not me called any of that journalism, nor real news, nor anything of the sort.

Reading comprehension, dude, it's a thing.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I quite obviously was not treating them as journalism nor as "real news" and said exactly that
Not in your first post on the matter you didn’t.;). That’s why I questioned you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks