NOA unveils new scheme to make Wario Ware suck

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jean-Michel, May 9, 2003.

1. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

http://pocket.ign.com/articles/401/401266p1.html

A summary of the significant part: they've added text at the start of each little mini-game telling you exactly what you have to do. Given that 90% of the challenge of Wario Ware is figuring out what you're supposed to do in the >5 seconds you have to do it, this is basically akin to making a Gran Turismo in which all you have to do is shift gears. Thanks a lot, fellas.

Note: post will be retracted if it turns out there is an option to turn the text off.

2. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Just buy the Japanese version if you don't like it... it's not like there is a region lock or anything.

3. BrianB

BrianB Producer

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I hope you can turn that off. I wanted to play this game really badly and this ruins it a bit.

5. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

Wow, lots of people upset over something that could be countered by closing your eyes or looking away for a few seconds.

6. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

But do you really want to have to look away every few seconds? How can you make sure you don't see the instructions without losing some time on each mini(ahem, micro)game?

It's a minor annoyance. I hope it can be turned off.

7. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

Well, my face is a bit red. The wording of the IGN preview does strongly suggest that the text at the beginning of each game was a new addition to the American version, but then I had actually seen a video of the Japanese version and didn't even notice the text. But I hate IGN so I'll blame them anyway.

That said, all of the reviews and previews I've read so far (save, of course, the new IGN preview) makes it sound as if figuring out what you're supposed to do is the big challenge of the game. Even the review in the latest EGM says this, and I would think they would've reviewed the American version with the English text. If you have onscreen text popping up telling you exactly what to do, how is that a challenge? Am I missing something here? I'm seriously thinking about getting the Japanese version simply because I won't understand what the game is telling me, which is a bit of an inversion on the usual order of things.

8. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

having played both versions I can say the Japanese version inadvertantly is much more fun and holds more charm...yes it too gives these brief word instructions (catch, dodge, stop me, flee, aim, collect, grab, rally, etc) just as each event is starting but if you cannot read it does it truely exist. The US version sadly does not have any option to turn of the subtitles/prompts as I assume the Japanese version does not either. Oh well at least Nintendo made the same mistake twice by including this feature in both games (it plays much better without words).

fyi.. closing your eyes or looking away is not recommended...there just isn't enough time to do so