No Willow at Blockbuster?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom Ryan, Dec 2, 2001.

1. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

My friend wanted to watch Willow tonight.......he actually wanted to buy it, but it'd been sold out when he tried to get it at Wal-mart. So, we went down to Blockbuster and looked for it. Not there. The one copy (supposedly....there was no keepcase to mark its place) was said to have been rented out. It wasn't available for purchase, either. Finally the employee found out that they had 6 copies in the back, but that it "wasn't out" until December 18th. Now, I know very well that it came out on Tuesday, so I'm wondering......why is Blockbuster keeping it back?

-Tom

2. Nathan_R

Nathan_R Supporting Actor

I wandered in my local Blockbuster a few weeks back to see if the widescreen Cats and Dogs was out for sale. Of course it wasn't, but I did see Willow for rent...about a week and a half early. I asked if they had any for sale. Again, they didn't have any dvds for sale, but they did have 6 VHS copies for sale. I was a little confused. You know, with all the attention that TPM received at Blockbuster, I bet Willow kinda slipped through the cracks with regards to actual street date and how many were ordered.

~~Nathan

3. Mike Miskulin

Mike Miskulin Second Unit

Tom,
    I had exactly the same thing happen to me! I went to a local Mom and Pop and their copy was rented, another Blockbuster had the case on the shelf, but no disc, and then another Blockbuster told me they have it, but it won't be out until the 18th! Of course, I let 'em know that it was released on Tuesday and you could buy it at any major DVD retailer, as well as the fact that the Blockbuster down the street had one for rent. It'll be interesting to see if they put it out any time soon. Anyone else with similar experiences?
    mike.

4. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

RUMOR:
    Willow is being held back from Blockbuster as punishment for breaking street date on Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace.
    Let's just say that this rumor is being circulated among the retailers, among whom it was leaked "you don't want to let this happen to you".
    I, uh, heard it at the mall yesterday...I definately won't say where. Interesting, no?

5. Nathan_R

Nathan_R Supporting Actor

but Blockbuster was still allowed to sell the VHS Willow on street date? I guess it makes sense...

~~Nathan

6. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
  7. donovan_chin

donovan_chin Stunt Coordinator

My local BB had a copy of Willow SE DVD for rent a week before street.

8. Peter Staddon

Peter Staddon Stunt Coordinator

That's the first I've heard of that rumor .. .. that's funny!

Peter Staddon

9. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

10. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Thanks Peter for clearing up the latest supposed Blockbuster conspiracy. The one near me had Willow to rent, but I already purchased a copy. Oh well.

J

11. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I was at the center with my local BB so I went in and looked for Willow on Friday. None were found. Talked to a clerk and she went in back and came out with one and rented it to me. So they have them, just did not put them out for some reason.

12. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Thanks for clearing that up, Peter! ROFL! [​IMG]
    I'll pass on your "denial" (well...you don't OUTRIGHT say that the rumor is untrue; you merely say it's the first time you've heard it! But I'll make the leap and assume you mean it's not true) to the people in question.
    Now, about Ferngully's AR... [​IMG]