No Way to Buy a Sub...Help

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by MitchS, Sep 9, 2005.

1. MitchS

MitchS Auditioning

OK, not the smartest way to decide, I'll admit that up front. However, the priorities are 1) Size: 11 inches tall or less so that pretty much limits it to an 8" woofer, 2) Budget: stretched at $800, 3) Home theater = 90%, Music = 10%, 4) Speakers are in-wall and in ceiling Paradigms, so we're not talking hi end system here, and finally 5) 60 yr old ears.

I've narrowed my choices to a Velodyne SPL800II or a Def Tech SuperCube III. The Velodyne is a discontinued model but availabe for $600 delivered. Best I've found for the Def Tech is $700 + shipping, but looks to have better specs. Worth $100 + more? Any other subs I should consider?

Thanks in advance.

MitchS
    near Lexington, KY

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

If you're other two dimensions aren't limited as much, and you have or have access to some basic wood working tools, have you considered a DIY option? $800 would go a long way to building a very impressive sub and with some mildly creative engineering wouldn't be difficult to use a 12 or 15 inch driver in a down or up firing configuration and still meet your height requirements.

3. John S

John S Producer

Def Tech has these new in-wall subs that look extremely interesting. Would probably go well with your other in-wall speakers.

4. MitchS

MitchS Auditioning

Got a second chance on a Sunfire Architectural on eBay for $500, so I took it.

Thanks.

5. John S

John S Producer

Nice...