What's new

NO WAY!! SVS+Onix for $950?? WOW! (1 Viewer)

AxelKro

Stunt Coordinator
David,

talking about pure speaker surface, my two PB12-Plus do have the same sqcm as on ML Decent.
However, due to the cabinet size and the SVS drivers, I think I have a much greater headroom. Also the power compares to a total 2400 Watt Peak towards 800 at the Decent.

So I think, we cannot compare them, the Decent is built with the focus to integrate into the ML range of Electrostats, which will be different to match them into other speakers like my Infinities (from my point of view).

Anyway, w/o having heard one, I can't tell anything and I don't like to spread rumours or uneducated guesses.

Dr. Anthony Rosalia

Stunt Coordinator
Pure sine waves at high volumes never killed a well designed subwoofer. What kills a subwoofer is the guy who plays those sine waves for a half hour at max volume consistently and causes fatigue of the amp over time at high volumes and internal temperatures. Think of the shearing forces applied to a sub when it is over-driven. SVS has gone to great lengths to prevent that from happening. Amplifiers can just dissipate so much heat before their temperature sensors shut the party down until it can cool. SVS has made their products to last. Just because an amp overheats, does not mean that you killed it. It just means next time... don't play it so loud or tweak your system properly! What also kills a speaker is distorted source material or running a sub on its lowest volume setting and then ripping the knob off the receiver overdriving the amp. This is why it is so important to calibrate your system so this doesn't happen.

Your SVS will give you a lifetime of fun. SVS is one of the few manufacturers that actually warranty their amps for a full 3 years as well as the rest of the subwoofer where most warranty their electronics for only 1 yr. They won't however stand for abuse if you somehow totally destroy it obviously by non-conventional means.

SVS subs are robust and can make a ton of sound pressure and extreme forces to move air like that. I will never say never, but it is unlikely you can do any normal activity where the sub would fail and completely die, again under normal use and not subjected to abuse. 20 Hz sine tones at max volume for 15 min in my eyes would constitute abuse, and just plain nuts.:thumbsdown:

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
A pure sine wave at high volumes will eventually overheat the voice coil. Subwoofers are not continuous output devices; music and movies do not contain signals like that.

When testing a subwoofer, reviewers will use sine waves to measure harmonic distortion. But the sines are never played for extended periods of time, and the woofer is given a chance to cool down between test signals. Even long term (30 second) power compression sweeps must be done with care or the VC can be smoked.

The PB10-ISD has an overload limiter in the amp, and there is also a slow blow fuse. Playing a sine too loud may trigger the amp limiter or blow a fuse. But these protective features do not 100% guarantee that you can't cook the voice coil if you elect to run a sine for several minutes at high volume. This constitutes product abuse and is strongly discouraged.

Forget the sines; just hook it up, calibrate, and enjoy music and movies. :emoji_thumbsup:

Regards,

Ed

Hi Ed!

Have you ever tested Subwoofers from other brands like Infinity,Canton,B&W or something else?

How do they compare to the PB10?

Have you heard port noises of the PB10 at any test?

David

Dr. Anthony Rosalia

Stunt Coordinator
ED

Well said. I actually never ran a sub with sine waves for more than 30 seconds to a minute at a time. It was actually quite scary. I ventured a guess as to the maximal time limit of sustained input and perhaps I was off by a mile. I also didn't take into account the copper coil as well that might melt, the glue that might dislodge, the spider that may tear, the fatigue to the capacitors in the amp, the internal fuse, etc. Thanks for your input. All so very true. I have read your reviews and I must say that they are the best I have read to date. It is a pleasure to talk to you.

David and I went into a private discussion about the difference between powered and non powered subs, the internal temperatures, the proper care of the unit, the limiting of constant sound, proper calibration, etc.

Hi David,

I got your pictures. What is that sub that I see in the photos? I assume the carpet underneath is to protect the floor as it will absorb the sound...or is that the idea as well not to annoy the parents? Be mindful about the sound levels...they will shake the house and will be heard in the next room so nighttime movie watching should be done with mom and dad out of the neighborhood lol. We were thinking of adding a line of surround headphones for those who want it loud yet want to maintain being married or not being thrown out of the house in your case lol. They are the wireless Sony MDR-DS8000 with gyrotrack that moves with you when you turn your head so the sound stays stationary. Looks like a cool product.

That's a Magnat Alpha 25A...I had it for a week to test if a subwoofer would be an enlargement to my HT it is a downfire Sub and I put the carpet under the sub that it don't gets scraches.

The carpet will not be there when the PB10 will fire up my HT ;)

The magnat is a very cheap and muddy sounding sub which tuning point is very high(about 40Hz), I hate this Sub but I had much more pressure with this Sub as Frontfire,it was only good for Techno but not for Music or films...

I got a relatively flat response curve with the Sub and the RC-L with the PB10 I appreciate to get a very flat freq. response ;)

The RC-L are going really very deep,much deeper than the Magnat Sub but with my room gain I've very little upper Bass(50-80Hz)

At the position of the Sub I had every Frequenz at about the same level...

I hope this will also go with frequencies below 40Hz!!!

David

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

No, not under normal listening conditions. Even the Sound Hound CD "Be Thou My Vision" track with the sustained 17 Hz organ note came through clean at any reasonable playback volume.

Any vented sub can eventually be pushed into port noise by running a sine at the tune point and cranking the volume really loud. So under controlled test conditions with no other masking noise, I was eventually able to induce some mild port chuffing at 20 Hz. But playing sines during ground plane testing is not considered a normal application, and the 3" wide flared (4.875" at the outer flare) quietly flows a LOT of air, and is a very good match for the bruiser 10" woofer.

Regards,

Ed

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
Not to rain on the parade, but Plasmadocs (aka Tony Rosalia) is a retail dealer. Dealers are prohibited from posting here. From the posting guidelines for the Hardware For Sale/Trade forum:

I am not aware of any exemptions for sponsors, but I may be mistaken. If there were exceptions I would expect them to be written into the posting guidelines.

Dr. Anthony Rosalia

Stunt Coordinator
It seems that someone inadvertently moved this thread here to an inappropriate place Mr. Driscol. Mr. Clark was doing some posting and moving of our specials. We were wondering what happened to this post when it somehow vanished from the deals section. I had just received a PM from a senior member concerned of it whereabouts and then it mysteriously turns up here.:b I am sure the problem will be rectified shortly. Thank you for pointing this out as we may not have found it so easily.

By the way, do I know you as you speak of me so colloquially? I haven't been publicly called Tony for a very long time since back in med school and amongst my closest peers.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Dan:

This thread was moved to the Hardware For Sale Area of the forum by my partner Ron and was not posted in that area by Anthony. He properly posted this speaker setup for sale in the appropriate area of the forum.

Any vendor that advertises with this forum has the clearance by us to do so without exception. The rules that we have in place against dealer advertising is in regards to those dealers that post items for sale without checking with Ron or I first or offering any type of compensation in the way of advertising to do so.

Parker

LeonM

Auditioning
I decided to take the plunge and purchased the 5.1 system. Can't wait to hook it up to my 1014 and see what it sounds like.

I can't believe I ordered it this morning and everything is getting shipped today as well.

Dr. Anthony Rosalia

Stunt Coordinator
Yup shipping for the PB10-ISD is down now to about 24 hours. If anyone gets their order in before around the 17th it will most likely get there before Christmas. Thanks to everyone who ordered, making these one of our most popular and highest value products. Thanks again HTF.

Leon, when you get your setup this week we all would love to hear your impressions. If there are any other people reading this who ordered, if you could also post your opinions as well it would be great!! :D

Thanks everyone for making PlasmaDocs #1 in home theater values this Christmas! We love you HTF!

Dr. Anthony Rosalia

Stunt Coordinator
New Holiday Hours at PlasmaDocs.com

Now open now 9:30am-6pm M-F Saturday hours 9:30am-5pm until Christmas!! Closed Christmas Day and Monday 12/27. Please email or Private Message us all day long as we are always getting our mail and respond usually quickly.

Thanks again HTF for making us #1 in Home Theater Values This Holiday Season. We love ya! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks