What's new

no video output to hdtv from htpc (1 Viewer)

RobertCO

Auditioning
I got my timing and resolutionr correct with powerstrip but can't play video on my hdtv.
Right now I am running in 856x480p and when I play DVD's using powerdvd or mpg/avi files using windows media player, the movie plays fine on my computer monitor but there is just a black screen on my hdtv. I am running the aiw 9700 pro using the component adapter. Any ideas on what the problem might be?

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
bring up your display properties and hit the advanced tab, then hit the overlay tab. in here hit the theater mode. This will cause any overlay to be put out in full screen to your second monitor (TV). Now to turn on the output, hit the displays tab and click the little on button in the top left of the box with the picture of the TV in it (labeled YPbPr in your case).

this should do it for you, if not, go back tot he display properties and enable your second monitor (the AIW uses the second monitor as the TV out) and that should get it to work.

try all that out and tell us what happens.

RobertCO

Auditioning
ok i did what u said and the video does display on my hdtv. however whether i play a widescreen dvd or watch cable on my aiw the video is output in 4:3 on the left side of the screen and the leftover space on the right side of the screen is a copied image of the left.

an unrelated problem that i am having is getting audio output while using the tv tuner. i figured that all i should need to do is connect the line out on the component adapter to the line in on the motherboard (a7n8x) but still i get no sound. i have also tried moving my coax from the spdif on the soundstorm to the one on the component adapter with no luck, any idea of what i'm doing wrong here?

thanks for your help,
robert

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
well, you've got some tough ones here.

the first one I am unsure about, the only thing I can think of is playing around with different resolutions of output (secondary monitor resolutions maybe) and seeing what happens).

the second problem is a little more common, just tell the tv tuner to play back in time a little bit and the audio will pick back up. for some reasn the card seems a bit sketchy on playing live audio.

RobertCO

Auditioning
Thanks for all the tips they've been a lot of help. There are still a things I'm not sure about. Is the only way to display video on my hdtv in theater mode? Sometimes I would like to view the video in a small window or use the minimize to desktop feature. This is no problem on my crt, is it just impossible to do on my hdtv or is it a problem with the component adapter that can be solved by purchasing a quality vga cable?

My ultimate goal is to use my hdtv as my only monitor (right now I have the crt sitting in the middle of my floor.) I'm already pretty happy with websurfing on the hdtv and only turn on the crt when I have problems displaying onto the hdtv.

Thanks again for all the great advice, I normally try and search for solutions to my problems on the forums but sometimes it is hard to find specifics on the avsforums and the bulk of information there can be overwhelming, I'm still learning a lot. (wow that's a nice run-on)

Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks