No video at all on Diana Krall's "Love Scenes" DVD-A?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Frezon, Oct 12, 2002.

1. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Just picked up the DTS "Love Scenes" and was surprised to see no video information at all on my screen--just my DVD player's standard info displaying # of tracks, playing time, etc.--as if it was playing a CD.

I only ask because I own four DVD-A titles right now...

Night At The Opera - Queen
    American Beauty - Grateful Dead
    Maroon - Barenaked Ladies
    Love Scenes - Diana Krall

...and outside of the Krall DVD-A, the others all have on-screen track listings, etc. The DVD-A sounds great, I'm just wondering if I'm doing something wrong or maybe have a defective disc of some sort. Thanks.

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike, Diana Krall Love Scenes is a DTS CD, not a DVD-Audio disc. Note that there are no DVD-Audio logos anywhere on the packaging or on the disc. DTS CDs have no video content.

3. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Keith--

Thank you. Sorry for being an idiot. I figured since the Queen disc had DTS all over it, the Krall disc was pretty much the same thing.

Anyway, no biggie. Like I said, it sounds awesome! And, that's what counts.

Follow-up: Does no video content allow the DTS people more space for better audio performance?

4. Michael St. Clair

5. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

DTS is compressed, while DVD-A "advanced resolution" isn't. So DVD-A actually takes up far *more* space than DTS.

Like Michael said, DTS discs are just CDs with DTS data on them instead of "redbook" PCM data. There's no video content because a CD player has no video output.

The Queen disc, while on the DTS label, is a true DVD-A.

Clear as mud?

Ryan

6. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

A lot of the DTS CDs were released along time before DVD-Audio was available. I purchased the Eagle's, Hell Freezes Over, four years ago. It is a DTS CD.

7. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike, no problem. You aren't an idiot. It seems as though DTS went out of its way to make its packaging ambiguous. [​IMG]
    Glad to hear you are enjoying the Krall DTS CD. I just bought the regular Love Scenes CD the other day and like the album, so I may pick up the DTS CD someday.

9. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Keith: Thanks again!
    FWIW, my fave Krall CD is "All For You", her tribute to the Nat King Cole Trio. And, if you haven't seen it yet, her "Live In Paris" concert DVD is incredible! DD and DTS 5.1 audio, 16:9 video, incredible photography/direction, and, of course, there is Diana and the music! [​IMG]

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike, thanks for the recommendations. I have gotten into Diana Krall recently, so I only have Love Scenes, When I Look in Your Eyes, and The Look of Love on CD. I have not picked up the Live in Paris CD or DVD, though I would like to get them. I've also thought about getting the Love Scenes DTS CD. Finally, The Look of Love is supposed to be coming out on SACD soon, and I would love to hear that one. There's too much music out there to buy.

11. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

So much music, so many movies, so little $$$.

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike, there is so music out there that I want to buy that I am not even thinking about movies these days. I've bought just two DVDs in the past six months!

13. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

That's funny, Keith! With me, its been just the other way around. My main hobby the past several years has been Disney music--but, of course, I also listen to MANY other kinds of music too! Since I've started this DVD experience a year or so ago, that has taken a back burner.
    I just found out about a much wanted soundtrack reissue that came out a couple of months ago! That never would have happened in the old days! :b
    Its all about priorities, I guess! [​IMG]

14. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike, until I win a $10,000 shopping spree at a Best Buy or Circuit City, I will have to prioritize music and movies. [​IMG] Of course, I wonder how long $10,000 worth of music and movies bought at once would keep me occupied. [​IMG]

15. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I guess only you can do the math on that one! [​IMG]
    Here's hoping it happens someday! [​IMG]
    BTW, I don't know if this is significant, but at BestBuy tonight, I noticed they had a copy of the DTS Love Scenes that was in different packaging. It looked like a cardboard CD case. Very different from the DTS CD packaging (or DVD-A packaging) that I'm used to.