No VB or Rainbowing

Discussion in 'Displays' started by JohnnyKretentiv, Mar 14, 2005.

1. JohnnyKretentiv

JohnnyKretentiv Stunt Coordinator

Is there any projector at any pricepoint where I could be assured that I will not experience any VB or RBE? I guess the answer is CRT. OK, in the DLP and LCD arena.

Just can't seem to pull the trigger on a darn pj. The VB is really spooking me (AE500/700 or Z2/3). Is it that common or are just the threads that complain about them common?

I am almost ready to go ahead and buy a H31 or 4805 and save some cash and take my chances with the rainbows.

Maybe I am just a chicken sh*t? I think I have read too many threads and spun myself around on this issue about 50 times.

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    You need to start with a demo of some dlp's in your area. Best demo material are black & white films or films with a lack of colour or even the end credits of many films to see if you can see the rbe. Personally, if I were purchasing dlp for myself, I would be looking at HD2 or HD2+ @ 1280x720 minimum but that's just me.

3. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

As Neil said, go see some DLPs for yourself to see if you see the rainbow effect. Personally, I don't think it affects a large percentage of the population, tho. I've had my LT150 for years now, and haven't found anyone yet who was bothered by it.

Jason

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Any price point ... well you won't see any rainbows with a 3 chip DLP projector.

Regards

5. jimmy~e

jimmy~e Agent

I've had my NEC HT1000 for two years now and no one viewing my DLP projector has ever reported seeing a rainbow. Perhaps 30 people have viewed dvds and HDTV at my house.
    I plan to buy an LCD for my bedroom because I like front projectors so much. I am not a videophile and I don't look for problems with the image so I'm reasonably certain my bedroom LCD will be just fine too (either SOny HS51 or Panasonic AE700u).

6. JohnnyKretentiv

JohnnyKretentiv Stunt Coordinator

Thanks to everyone who has responded. As you all know this is an extemely daunting task (finding the right PJ). Then having to justify this purchase to my wife cause we already have the 65" HDTV.

I spent the extra $$ on my TV and was/am very happy with it. I will dig deep and spend a little extra and get a good PJ too.

Time to go to Chicago and test drive so DLPs this weekend. I'm going to bring Schindler's List and LTOR as auditioning material.

Thanks all,
    Future owner of ..... something [​IMG]

7. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Why not a CRT projector...??

I've not seen banding on LCOS units, though I'm not very experienced with LCDs at all, so I'm not sure what I'd be hunting for. At any price, 1080p lcos is in my book much superior to 3-chip dlp.