What's new

No upscaling of SD DVDs for PS3 (1 Viewer)

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
I wouldn't get too worked up over this news. Yeah, it appears Sony is just trying to keep the videophiles from snapping up all its new gaming platform units for use primarily (if not solely) as video players. However, remember that the PS3 will be capable of running (if not preinstalled in the box with) the LINUX operating system. This means that 3rd parties can, and likely will, write their own movie player software which will undoubtedly include the upscaling feature so desired. You may have to pay a bit more for the feature, but you are still getting a bargain when compared with the prices of other current and near-future Blu-Ray players.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Over the next few week we'll see how this shakes out. As of now, my pre-order is on shaky ground.

I'm currently using my PS2 (prog scan version) as a DVD/PS1/PS2 device.

Since the PS3 won't upconvert any of these software types, all I'm getting out of the deal is HDMI video.

That's not really worth $500 and I don't want to get boxed into a situation where I have to immediately buy high priced Blu-ray movies and games just to see what the system can do.

If my TV's going to do all the upconverting, then maybe I can live without the PS3.

As far as software updates go, Sony has shown with the PSP that they are quite hostile to homebrews/mods and will aggressively prevent you from using anything but UMD (read new) software on the system.

PS3 isn't an open-source LINUX box and if Sony doesn't want old software competing with new product (read profit), then it won't.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

I'm not so sure. It seems even many sub-$100 players now include HDMI and upscaling these days.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

I do not believe that upconversion can be accomplished through software only, but requires the appropriate support chips. If this is the case, the PS3 will never do upconversion. Sounds like these chips fell into the cost cutting bucket.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
It's not the case.

Sony's architecture uses the Cell to process everything along with the nVidia video chipset. The PS3 will be able to do upscaling, just not at launch. I don't see why folks who think nothing of the XBOX 360 updated to support 1080p doubt it can be done with the PS3, which is more powerful.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Three points, Peter. if chip set support is not required,I stand corrected. I have no concern of the lack of upscaling or the lack of immediate 1080p support (PS3 - 360) as I do not use game consoles as video players, and my Tosh (haven't tried my Samsung yet) upconvert just fine.

As far as power, that is a real debate issue. Both CPU's, buses and memory management used in the 360 and PS3 have areas they 'theoretically' have more power than the other. But there is a great difference between theory and partical use. The initial specs will make it difficult to tell a screen difference from the screens shots from a 360 and PS3.

As far a video card specs, the PS3 has the edge over the 360, albeit slight. Performace differences between the systems may be more an issue of memory management, bus speeds, and of course, developers ability to code to the systems, and the robust nature of the tools they use.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I don't think too many people are doubting that it CAN be done, but rather whether or not it WILL be done. If the PS3 cannot upscale when shipped there is absolutely no guarantee that any kind of firmware update will ever be released by Sony to enable this functionality in the future. If upconversion is a priority then the best thing to do IMO is skip the PS3 until it's been confirmed as an upcoming feature or becomes enabled on the assembly line.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

As I understand it, support for PS2 games will not happen until 1st quarter of '07, when Sony completes their emulation sofware. This will take priority over the upscaling functionality, as without the emulation, the games that will be released on their on-line service (currently PS2 only) will not be available to the PS3 owners. This is a revenue loss Sony does not want to take.

As far as the upconversion factor, it will make no immediate difference in Sony's PS'3 sales numbers. If they only had a standard DVD in the PS3, they would still sell out every box. They can wait a considerable time for this functionality with no ill effects on their bottom line.

andy wells

Agent
Are you sure about that?

GPU-
XBOX 360/ Playstation 3
Custom ATI GPU (R600)/ RSX "Reality Synthesizer"

—GPU Memory
512 MB CPU-shared/ 256 MB

—GPU Memory Clock
700 MHz/ 650 MHz

—Graphics Core Clock
500 MHz/ 500 MHz

— Pixel Pipelines
48/ 24

—Vertex Pipelines
48/ 30

—Embedded Video Memory

10MB edram/ N/A

Xbox spec on each line first then/ PS3 spec right after for comparison.

James St

Supporting Actor

The PS2 chipset will be included in the PS3 allowing it to support all PS1/PS2 games. There may be issues with a handful of games like with the PS2 backward compatibility but nearly every PS1/PS2 game should be playable on day one.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
You missed my point, which is that Sony is under no obligation whatsoever to enable SD DVD upconversion on the PS3. Purchasing a PS3 with the assumption that this capability will be provided by Sony at some future date is foolhardy. *If* this report is true and turning it on is simply a matter of flipping a bit in the firmware, then one has to question the motivation behind not enabling it in the first place.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

I think I understand your point, and agree with it and I agree that it is silly to think, as some do, this is simply a switch of a bit to turn it on, but rather a hardware limitation that Sony did not want to exploit in the console.

They can not afford to alienate the game developers with potitioning the PS3 as a Blu-Ray player for movies, as it would limit it's use as a game console. Less time playing games equates into less games purchased, less games purchased means less investment in the game development arena. I would not want to be the marketing department at Sony.

They have made many bad decisions over the last couple of years, hopfully this is no another.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Just purchased a Sony 40v2500 (1080p) at CC due to the recent price drops.

Hooked up my prog scan PS2 with component video and tested a good DVD (Jason X, fresh from this week's Halloween DVD sale).

PQ as upconverted by my HDTV is OK, but there's lots of combing artifacts that make 16x9 DVD look like an old rez-poor 4:3 encoded DVD from back in the day.

Clearly (as expected), I need an upconvert device and that need was suppose to be filled by the PS3.

Guess I need to re-think my format choice or just go with a $200 upconverter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks