No upscaling of SD DVDs for PS3

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Doesn't really matter to those who already bought the HD-(X)A1. They can play HD DVD, BD and upscaled SD DVD then. For less than $1000 total.
You don't need SD upscaling on every HR machine.

Cees

dpippel

HTF Premium Member
Premium
Real Name
Doug
But if you're not buying HD-DVD and have been waiting to purchase the PS3 as an entry-level Blu-ray player, it *is* a big deal. So let's get this straight - the BDP-S1 won't play Redbook CD and the PS3 won't upscale SD DVD. Sony just seems to make one bad decision after another.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Well, for the die hard gamer, DVDs may not be an issue hence, Sony probably assumed that upscaling capabilities on the PS3 was a non issue. Of course in their error they somewhat forgot about the die hard gamers who are into movies especially the best quality. Shame on Sony, again

Didn't they sold out of the 500,000 when the pre-order was opened?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Then you're out of luck indeed.
And at the moment HD DVD offers the very best in PQ and sound, constant quality, as well as sheer number of releases.

Cees

dpippel

HTF Premium Member
Premium
Real Name
Doug
I was commenting on the lack of SD DVD upconversion on the PS3 *only* Cees. My point is that if the PS3 is your first foray into high-def disc then its inability to upconvert is a *big* drawback.

Anyway, I didn't want to drag the HD-DVD vs. Blu-ray thing into it. There are enough threads on that subject floating around HTF already.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
That really sucks. What happened to all the talk of being able to upload a DVD to their servers, let their software upscale it and then you play it anytime? Never thought that would actually happen, but surely simple upscaling on the actual machine should have been a given. Hopefully this gets rectified with a software update. If they can enable 1080p output on the X360, they can enable upscaling on the PS3.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Well the aqrticle could be wrong. Off the bat it had a glaring error.

1: The 360 does NOT upscale DVDs (unless you have the VGA connection). Neither will its HD DVD add-on. Which leads me to..

2. Upscaling requires an HDMI connection (copyright protection). It's entirely possible since the HDMI cable isn't included with the PS3 that they misunderstood that it wouldn't do it "out of the box".

I'd like to see full confirmation of this, other sources.

Ed B

Stunt Coordinator
Hopefully thats a mistake, I also read that the console will not upscale the PS1/PS2 games.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
First of all, good luck finding a $499 PS3 to pair with the HD-A1... I'm just saying.

Second, I found this amusing:

Maybe not for the 'die-hard gamer', but you know as well as I do Sony has been pushing the PS3 as Blu-Ray's big advantage over HD DVD. After all, isn't that how it is supposed to get all the market penetration that HD DVD won't? Now they just alienated a significant portion of the non-gamer, HT-enthusiast, early adopters.

I really don't think a bunch of gamers, who aren't educated enough to know that the PS3 doesn't upconvert SD DVDs, or even what that means, are going to have a lot of bearing on deciding the outcome of this format war in the early goings.

James St

Supporting Actor

360 will upscale with the VGA adapter. Most newer sets and even some older ones (my Pioneer CRT does) have a PC input so it should work fine.

As far as the PS3 goes, Linux will be available to install so I'm sure the possibilities will be huge on what it will be able to do.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I think that anyone who was expecting the PS3 to have all of the HD features of its dedicated, more expensive BD players was just not being realistic. After all, the higher cost must surely have additional features or better quality or both—else there would be no market at all for the dedicated players.

As Cees observes, this is no big deal for those who are planning on buying both formats (and this is my category)—but for those in Doug’s category, this might be a reason to not purchase the PS3.

It will certainty address gamers who will buy a few HD movies (a very different group than most of those on this forum).

Now Peter’s doubt as to the accuracy of the report may turn out to be correct, but I still find it hard to believe that there won’t be some significant (to us on this forum) value-add on the dedicated players.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
But in all honesty, how much does it really cost to incorporate upscaling of DVD's in a device already designed to upscale video?

Peter listed some good reasons to not believe this news, or only to an extent.

If it does turn out to be true, expect a software update shortly into the life of the PS3 that adds that function.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Edited my post.

I don't see anything that would cause the PS3 not to be able to upscale. The OS can be updated, there is plenty of processing power, etc.

If the 360 can be updated to support 1080p a year later why not?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I think that you are missing the commercial aspect. Cost is only one portion of determining price. There are other, equally (perhaps more) important factors in determining price. Among other things, manufactures attempt to differentiate among their similar offerings by offering different features that are of interest (or importance) to different market segments.

So if marketers decide that the ability to upscale DVDs is of not much importance to what they believe to be the core buyers for the PS3, but that feature (among others) will be sought after another market segment that will also be willing to pay a premium for those features, then those features won’t be on the lower priced model, even if the manufacturing is very low or non-existent.

Of course the way to have your cake and eat it too, is to wait until lower priced models have all the desirable features. It will all happen in time.

[email protected]

Screenwriter
If this report proves to be true then my hopes of a single 1080p multimedia device for games/DVDs/HD will be dashed.

There's no excuse for the PS3 not handling DVDs properly when practically even the cheapest DVD player now upscales.

This is the hardware equivalent of Star Wars coming out 4:3 encoded in 2006!

The fact that this is probably just a 'software issue' isn't very reassuring either because Sony don't have any firm network plans (?) and who knows when updates will be available.

I'm sure as hell not buying some crappy $60 game next April just to get some firmware updates.

Sure an HDTV will typically upscale 480p content anyway, but the PS3 could have done a much better job.

No HDMI cables was a disappointment, but this report is bordering on a deal-breaker.

I'm suppose to buy a 1K Blu-ray player just to get upscaling?...whatever.

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor
I'm sure this is just a software issue that could be resolved easily Frank.

As many problems as the Cell has, it is fairly well suited to Video tasks, quite well from what I've read on it. As such, it really should be only a matter of a firmware update down the line.

As far as the update itself goes, connect the PS3 to a broadband connection(Yours, a friends, the bosses when he goes to luch...) and let it connect to Sony's service. I'm 100% certain it'll auto-update itself once connected to the service, and Sony's service is free.

I'm not trying to make excuses for Sony, considering how common upscaling is now it should be there on launch. But it's not like it's impossible for the PS3 to ever upscale, Cell can handle it, just need the update.

dpippel

HTF Premium Member
Premium
Real Name
Doug
This is of course a possibility, but it's nothing more than pure conjecture at this point. Whether or not the PS3 is capable of upscaling is one thing. Assuming that it's correctable via a fiirmware update and that Sony will actually PROVIDE that update at some time in the future it is an entirely different matter and a huge leap of faith. They have absolutely no obligation to do so.

One has to wonder why this capability isn't being enabled on shipping units (if the report proves to be true). One thing is certain - it's not an oversight. Shipping the PS3 without the ability to upscale SD DVD would be a conscious decision on Sony's part.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
els