1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

"No turns ..."

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jack Briggs, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

This is the first time I have ever mentioned an oddity I have noticed for many years.

In my (now unaffordable) neighborhood, on every street, there are city signs that state the following:

No Turns from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.

Again, as I said, these signs are on every street. But what do they mean? If I am coming home late, say at midnight, the city is saying that I cannot make any turns for an eight-hour stretch? How does one drive anywhere without making turns?

I've always been disturbed by those signs. Is there something obvious here that I am missing? Any other Los Angeles residents have any input?

Just curious.

2. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Wow Jack, "movin' on up" indeed [​IMG]

I've noticed the turn prohibitions on left turns when there is no left turn lane and the street is a high-traffic one, so the city doesn't want people trying to make left turns while stopping an entire lane of a busy street, but your description sounds unlike anything I've seen in our fair city.

3. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Thomas
  4. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

In some cities around here, there are signs posted prohibiting turns between a designated time to cut down on cruising. In Appleton, for example, people will cruise up College Avenue, turn left right before Lawrence University and swing around the block so they can cruise back down College. You can turn left off of College, but you can't take the first left off that after 10 p.m.

Bruce

5. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

In downtown Washington DC there are certain streets that prohibit right turns at night in order to prevent cruising for streetwalkers. I've rarely seen it enforced but it does give the police probable cause to stop someone and may prevent them from coming back to the area.

6. Marianne

Marianne Supporting Actor

So, Jack, why are you driving around after midnight? [​IMG]

7. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Executive Producer

Dennis
    That's OK Jack, your neighborhood may become more affordable soon.

See www.doctorhousingbubble.com for more information. The site's name even apes a Kubrick title for you! [​IMG]

8. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

I've never heard the term "short sale" in real estate -- apparently it refers to someone selling their home for less than what they owe. Probably not the best choice of terms, since it doesn't mean the same as a short sale in the financial markets. Plus, in the stock market, increased short selling is often a bullish indicator, since eventually the shorts have to buy to cover their position.

(sorry for diverting...)

9. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    This is a Briggs thread...it's supposed to go OT in a short period of time. [​IMG]

The nasty thing about a real-estate short sale is that the lender turns in a 1099 to the IRS with your name on it for the amount of debt excused. [​IMG]

10. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Jack: I'm surprised you have not sated your curiosity after all these years.

I've never seen signs like those. But, then again, I don't get around much.

If, however, I did see them, I would think they were referring to U-turns. But, from what the others are saying, I think I'd be wrong.

Please ask. So we all can know! [​IMG]

11. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    "Mazda".

12. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

As I said, the signs state "No Turns from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m."

They do not say "No U-Turns."

And while I am curious, I'm not curious enough to call the police department. Just wondered if anybody else here knew.