What's new

No time delay between switching CDs? (1 Viewer)

Hi,

I heard from a friend that it's possible to hook up two CD changers so that on acts as a buffer for another. While one CD is playing, the other is ready to be played, and there is therefore no delay when you switch from one CD to another. Does anyone know if this can be done, and if so with what models? Also, is this possible with only one CD player, and if so, which one?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Alexander

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
Sony models advertize this feature, although I have never used it (only have 1 megachanger... for now ;) ). Since I have not used this feature I do not know all the details, but it's my understanding that you can cue up a track on a second changer so that as soon as the first stops the second starts. I'm not positive, but I would assume that in random play mode the players alternate so as to always have no delay in disk switching. There is also a fade mode advertized which will crossfade one track into the next between the two players. One thing that I feel is important when chaining megachangers is that you must use analog (RCA) interconnects between them and to the reciever. Normally I would always connect megachangers to the reciever with a digital interconnect, since recievers tend to have much DACs than the cheaper changers. Sony's ES megachangers should do fine, however (but boy are they expensive....).
As to your second question, to do this with just one changer would require it to have 2 CD readers in it. I do not know of any that do, but it wouldn't surprise me if they existed. If you can live with a 1 or 2 second delay between disks, then I think there are a few carousel changers with very fast disk switching times, but I haven't researched carousel changers in quite awhile so I'm not up to speed on them.

Arthur W

Auditioning
First of all, I have a Sony 300 Disc CD changer and I Love It. It has more features than I know what to do with. However, if I had to find fault with it, I would mention that it takes an apsolute eternity to switch from one cd to the next (Especially in full random mode). That is why linking up two sony changers is so advantageous. However, I have not tried this featrue on mine, since I only have one changer. One of these days ill get a second one and link them together. One thing at a time though, right now I am saving up for an LCD projector.

On a semi related note, I do have a Technics 60 Disc CD changer, and it is Extremely fast between CD's. The Technics however is not a Carosal system, so maybe that is part of the reason why.

Anyway, theres my $.02

. . . speling wass nevir mi stroung piont.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.