No talk about KOTOR 2?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jake Gove, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Jake Gove

Jake Gove Second Unit

I'm surprised that no one is talking about Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II. It's supposed to come out this week, and is the sequel to last year's Game of the Year.

I have been eagerly awaiting this one, as the last KOTOR grabbed a hold of me like no game has in years.

Both GameSpot and IGN have given it great reviews. I am hoping to get it early.

2. TedT

TedT Second Unit

It just came out today. No one has it yet.

3. Michael Pineo

Michael Pineo Stunt Coordinator

Did it actually come out today? My wife tried to pick it up for me and was told it wouldn't be out until Thursday. I checked 4 different websites and found 4 different release dates [​IMG]

MikeP

4. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

After watching IGN's video review, I think I'll wait for a review of the PC version before deciding on which one to get. Hopefully, the issue of load times will be addressed on the PC platform.

5. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I'm really looking forward to this one, but going to wait until after Christmas to pick it up. A combination of no time, no money, and the possibility of someone being extremely nice and buying me a copy for christmas are holding me back right now.

Unlike Fable though, I'll probably end up actaully playing through this game twice.

6. Jeff_Standley

Jeff_Standley Supporting Actor

I have not been able to pick this one up yet, I just got WOW and have little to no time as it is. I cant wait to finally get this one though.

7. James T

James T Screenwriter

I picked it up this afternoon.

I haven't gotten far, but my early impressions are that it's just an "okay" games. It has the look of the original, but it just doesn't feel like the original. I don't remember the characters talking as much in the original. I guess they just want you to be informed about the events since the first game, but it's a lot of listening.

Hopefully, the game will pick up after I pass the first area. It might take me awhile since I have no clue what to do [​IMG]

8. Jake Gove

Jake Gove Second Unit

Where did you buy it?

9. Phil L

Phil L Supporting Actor

I can't wait for the PC version of this. I wish they'd been released at the same time. Almost enough to make me get a Xbox...almost.

10. James T

James T Screenwriter

EB. I'm guessing they had since the morning at least, because I was there just after one and they had their displays already setup. By display, I don't mean anything fancy, just the games stocked up on the shelves with the extras neatly piled behind the counter.

11. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

I picked it up Tuesday morning at an EB in Barrie.

I'm loving it! It is most certainly the same engine as KOTOR 1 with some very nice evolutionary tweaks.

TONS of new force powers and feats and what not. TONS.

So far, I'm digging it. The 'training level,' fully skippable, starts out: (spoilerized, but it's the very first thing you do)

with the Ebon Hawk floating in space, HUGE chunk taken out of the side, flaming edges, sparks, the whole nine. I believe the very second line of the voice over narration is 'everybody aboard is dead or dying.' Your character lies dying in the medical ward.

You start play as TM-34, the lovable little slicer droid from KOTOR1, and you have to fix up the hyperdrive enough to dock with the nearby mining colony, stabalize your character's condition with a medpack, and get to the colony.

It just goes from there. I played for an hour or two last night, levelled my guy up once. I must say that I much prefer they way they're handling the the character progression over KOTOR1; less 'deus ex machina,' if you will.

Overall, though, I'm LOVING it.

12. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

Best Buy had copies on the floor this morning when I went in at 10:00. As tempting as it was, I'm going to wait for the PC release, which should be out in February.

13. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

while i played and enjoyed KOTOR 1, i'm more excited about the playable Republic Commando demo on the KOTOR2 disc [​IMG] has anybody played it, and how is it compared to other FPSs?

14. Bryan_ZZ

Bryan_ZZ Stunt Coordinator

I'm planning to rent KOTOR II this weekend. I'm thinking about going through as a badass this time, considering I "Pleased" and "Thank You'd" my way through the first game. Which way is everyone else going?

15. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Well, assuming that it doesn't suck (and I have the time/desire to), I'll go through a Light side game first, and then turn right around and play through again as the most evil bastard I can be. This worked really well for KOTOR 1 (and was worth it), but I also had a lot more free time at that point... Never did make that evil pass through Fable, so we'll have to see. I'll probably wait until after Christmas to pick this one up.

16. James T

James T Screenwriter

First, my post up top said it was an okay game. I change my mind and think this is on par with the original game! It's just great.

My complaint is the jedi balancing system. In the first game, I found it very hard to maintain a perfect light side person. In this game, it's very easy to stay at the top of the light(I haven't tried dark side, but I will as soon as I pass this game).

I also love how they incorporate the level-ups in the game. It was a great idea and a neat little twist.

I have a feeling I'm almost done this game, but at least I still have the dark side to play with.

17. Tony_T

Tony_T Auditioning

Just finished this one a few days ago. Didn't see this thread so started another one!!! hahaha

I was really looking forward to this game a whole lot because I loved the first one so much.

Although I liked this game I still think it pales when compared to the original. My biggest complaint in KOTOR II is the ending. Pretty anticlimatic after 40+hours of game time. Also, the puzzles here are so much easier and the worlds seemed so much smaller.

There is definitely a lot of improvements in the gameplay though. It is so nice to be able to swith weapons in battle to a different configuration. Great when your ranged players get into a melee fight!

Overall, I did enjoy KOTOR II but after playing it I just want to go and play the original again! Now, if they can just combine the storyline of I and the gameplay of II into III. Then it will be most excellent!

Tony