What's new

No SYNC issue when running progressive DVD into projector (1 Viewer)

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Benq PB 6100

When I run my my Toshiba 2200(interlaced only) into the projector through the VGA port it works great.

When I run a new DVD player(no name Citizen, it was cheap) from its VGA OUT to the VGA in it works great.

NOW, when I try to run a progressive signal from the component out on the new DVD to the VGA in(via an adapter) the projector won't syns to the video.

What's strange is I had this at the Canuck shootout running off a Denon 5900 through progressive and it worked great.

The new player works fine when fed through component into my old Toshiba 27" .

It's not a cabling issue, I've swapped multiple times.

Should I just get my new DVD player and try it? I was planning on returning the Citizen player anyways.

Cmon you projector pros help an old man out:)

Brent

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
I'm guessing that the projector, when it autoselects VGA via the VGA jack, expects that horizontal and vertical sync. will be on a fourth and fifth lines (pins) while your adapter only puts its RGB output sync combined with the green (RGsB) leaving the fourth and fifth lines unused. See if your adapter has a selection for RGBHV (five lines) progressive output. Incidentally if the adapter output is labeled VGA but does not have separate horizontal and vertical sync. then it is labeled incorrectly.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

brentl

Senior HTF Member
OK, kind of figured you out now.

The adapter this one is the same one that was used with the denon 5900 and worked great, so I know the projector will accept a Pro scan signal through the VGA port with this adapter.

Other ideas?

Brent
checking out that link now Thanks.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Also there are slight timing differences with the sync. pulses between consumer progressive scan NTSC component video (SMPTE timing) versus computer regular VGA (VESA timing), even though these are both 480p. Many TV sets (and monitors and projectors) don't care, a few do. The timing of consumer grade DVD players might not be all that precise so a finicky projector works with some but not all players.

Furthermore you must manually select "Y/Pb/Pr" at the projector when feeding in component video using the adapter you mentioned. This selection may or may not adjust for VESA timing for VGA (or RGB) and SMPTE timing for Y/Pb/Pr. Lacking that selection the projector won't give you a properly colored picture from a component video source although the Y/Pb/Pr vs. RGB mismatch does not prevent sync'ing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks