No SVS in S&V's latest sub article

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Matthew Anderson, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Matthew Anderson

Matthew Anderson Second Unit

Matthew Anderson
    I just got my current issue on Sound and Vision and there is a rather good article by Tom Nousaine where he compares and reviews 10 subs that give a good bang for the buck. I was really surprised to find no SVS subs in the article since the subs that were reviewed were ones that gave you a true value which SVS certainly does. Overall I liked the article and the advice it gave for setting up your subwoofer.

2. Arthur Vino

Arthur Vino Stunt Coordinator

Yes, I was looking for SVS also in that article..

3. Eric Eash

Eric Eash Second Unit

i think that sometimes the magazines are not as unbiased as they try to make it seem. HT mag totally favors Def Tech and they said they got some axiom speakers in to test them and that they couldn't unplug them fast enough. maybe svs has to pay for a larger ad in the mags to get the recognition. not sure where their loyalty lies, with the manufacturers or the consumers.

eric

4. Gordon Groff

Gordon Groff Second Unit

The article heavily implied it was only looking at brands with B&M dealers. Companies with Internet-based, direct sales distribution business models (SVS, Onix (Rockets), etc.) are rarely given coverage. The reason is simple, the good 'net-based companies are putting their money into value rather than marketing and distribution, counting on their EXTRAORDINARY bang for the buck to garner customers through word-of-mouth and in-home auditions. Magazines live and die by their advertising dollars, so it is understandable that they give them short shrift in print.

I'm SO pleased with the performance/value ratio of my Rockets and my SVS that I do what I can to "spread the word" about them. That's what the 'net based companies live and die on. Their reputation.

Gordon

5. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Also they may have had those major manufacturers pay them some amount of money to have their product reviewed.

Do magazines actually do that? I've always wondered why we sometimes see odd combinations of products...

6. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

It always seems like a magazine starts out with good intentions then the greed takes over. HT used to be my favorite magazine. Used to do some great reviews and do a pretty good job at rating them. Now you have to suspect everything in there....

7. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Guys,

I don't pretend to have deep insight into what/how Sound and Vision magazine thinks or what guides their operations. Our goal was to build the world's best subwoofers. Then let the world discover it. I've met some of the key folks there, many there know (or have at least have heard) of SVS. We even advertise in the back (a very small fish against massively expensive advertisers). If we didn't have great respect for the editorial coverage of this publication we wouldn't.

Frankly, SVS is growing so fast that more reviews from mainstream press are not needed. That it'll happen some day is probably a given. We're already in several of the best cyber based review sites, and will be coming to what's probably the third largest (and arguably one of the BEST HT mags) as it is in a few months. We'll be in the S&V Buyers' Guide this year so that's one step closer to wider recognition too. The fact we're having more pop and rock institutions use SVS (think Madonna and her recent NY art show... and the head sound engineer for the biggest heavy metal act -- who's about to show his colors as an SVS fan) means it's only a matter of time before what YOU know is something EVERYONE knows.

In the mean time, if the many thousands of SVS customers feel strongly that they'd like to see us get some more coverage it's really as simple as an e-mail, or even better, a snail mail letter be sent to the Editor of Sound and Vision. The address is in the mag. It's a free country to say what you think. One word to the wise; he, like most of the staff I've met is just about the most reasonable enthusiast you can imagine, but he's got a business to run just like we do. If any SVS customer (or potential customer) is less than courteous to them it'd just not be productive, or fair for that matter.

If he thinks SVS deserves coverage or inclusion in some way, and that it will garner interest from his readership he'll extend an invite to a review some day. Simple. The fact we'll certainly embarrass some big advertisers is probably not something he'd be too excited about however, and frankly I can't blame him. It's a delicate balance I'm sure. Much easier to simply build the world's best subwoofers probably.

Eventually the truth will get out to a wider audience. DVD did this. Dolby Digital did this. It doesn't happen over night and it's clearly something you want to be prepared for when it DOES happen. Every year SVS has grown tremendously, and we like to think we keep giving back in meaningful ways to our customers. YOUR support will keep making that happen, and eventually will make big time reviews happen too.

We're just biding our time making the inevitable be even more convincing the longer it's in the works.

Now, if you want to have your voice heard, you probably have to step beyond the pages of HTF --- and exercise the same cordial restraint there you do here.

Ron