No surround

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by MikeArcher, Dec 21, 2004.

1. MikeArcher

MikeArcher Extra

Okay, here's my ghetto audio setup, I do plan on adding more as the money permits but this is what I have right now:

Cheapo Walmart dvd/cd player running through optical connection to Pioneer 1014. The 1014 is bi-amping the front speakers (b&w 602s) and running the surrounds to some crappy speakers from a boom-box that I had. I do not have a subwoofer or a center channel, so I have those two things turned off on the receiver--surround and fronts are turned on.

I have tried several dvds, I make sure to switch on the 5.1 from the dvd menu and try all of the surround options from the receiver. At one point in time I did have sound coming out of the surround speakers for a movie but the sound kind of sounded like it was just derived from stereo. Since that movie I haven't gotten surround to work at all. When I do the auto-calibration on the receiver the surround speakers sound fine but nothing on the movies. The auto-surround option always puts the setting to stereo and manually selecting the different movie options still doesn't give me anything. Just recently I tried using the dts track on "Collateral" and there wasn't any sound at all, not even stereo. I thought it might have been that the dvd player isn't compatible with surround formats but it has dts and dolby digital listed on the front of it.

I'm at a loss, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mike

2. Brad E

Brad E Second Unit

It's probably the dvd player. You have to go in and turn on dts and dd.
    Every player is different, just go into initial settings or audio settings, whatever you have.

3. MikeArcher

MikeArcher Extra

Thank you very much, that worked!