What's new

No surround sound from Marantz-Paradigm HT after upgrading from dvd player to bluray‏ (1 Viewer)

vpantvaidya

Auditioning
Real Name
Vishwajit
Code:
 I have been using my Marantz SR5200 receiver and 5.1 Paradigm speakers with a Panasonic DVD player for past several years. With the optical audio output of the DVD player connected to the receiver's optical audio input, I was able to hear good surround sound from all speakers. Now I have upgraded to Samsung BD-P1600 bluray player and the optical audio output of bluray player is connected to receiver's optical audio input. When I play a DVD movie in the bluray player and the player is setup to output a PCM signal, I hear only stereo sound from the front 2 speakers. When I change the blueray player setup to output bitstream (reencoded), I get surround sound, but the volume from the speakers is almost inaudible. Is the Marantz receiver not compatible with the blueray player? If not, how can I correct this?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Isn't there a third bitstream choice - audiophile? I think that's the one you should be using. I have the Samsung 1500, and it does have three choices for the audio streaming (but that's through HDMI). Is there a place where you choose whether you want the audio to go through optical instead of HDMI? I set mine so long ago, I can't remember, but it seems to me you'd need to tell the player that, particularly if you have the HDMI connected to the TV for video.

vpantvaidya

Auditioning
Real Name
Vishwajit
Thanks Matt. The setup does not have have an option to tell whether audio goes through optical / HDMI. But you are right - it does have the bitstream audiophile output. Here is more detailed info on that and some more testing:

The BD-P1600 bluray player has following 3 settings in audio setup. Here are the results I got in each case when using the optical o/p to connect to my receiver:
1. PCM: outputs stereo only
2. bitstream(reencoded) - outputs surround sound but audio level is extremely low, almost inaudible
3. bitstream(audiophile) - outputs only to center channel

The BD-P1600 manual mentions the following at 2 different places:
a. optical cable connection is recommended when connecting to a non-HDMI amplifier but in this case discs with LPCM soundtracks will only be heard over front 2 channels
b. if optical cable is used, multichannel sound may not be heard

The question that I have now is:
- do movie DVDs in US region have LPCM soundtracks?
- even if they do, why did my older Panasonic DVD player deliver surround sound when connected to same receiver using optical o/p. Do I need to look for an alternative bluray player that has similar capability?

Tried a bluray movie also, here are the results with that:

1. PCM: still outputs stereo only
2. bitstream(reencoded) - outputs DTD surround sound, audio level is higher than for DVD but still lower than with Panasonic DVD player
3. bitstream(audiophile) - outputs Dolby Digital with full surround sound at expected level

As mentioned earlier the stereo output in #1 and the lower audio o/p in #2 are expected and documented in the BD-P1600 manual. So my conclusions are:
- the player will not play DVD with proper audio with the optical connection, so I either need to try out a different player or an HDMI receiver
- bluray discs will play well in the bitstream(audiophile) mode.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

vpantvaidya

Auditioning
Real Name
Vishwajit
I did a couple of things and now DVD audio seems almost where it needs to be:

1. updated player firmware from 2.04 to 2.05
2. set player audio setting for dynamic compression to off

Now while playing a DVD, the player still behaves same with PCM / bitstream (reencoded) settings. But with bitstream (audiophile) setting, I get proper surround sound. I think the dynamic compression change made the difference - the BD-P1600 manual does say that "When Movie soundtracks are played at low volume or from smaller speakers, the system can apply appropriate compression to make low-level content more intelligible and prevent dramatic passages from getting too loud."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks