No Surround on JVC RX-888VBK Receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tommy G, Feb 8, 2002.

1. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

I am trying out a new receiver a friend of mine might sell me but I am having trouble with it. I thought I hooked it up correctly but I couldn't get the surround to work on anything but my DVD player. Even the dvd player would not play through the dts signal only dolby surround. I don't know if I did something wrong. Another problem is that I don't have a separate powered subwoofer. My current one connects to the current receiver I have which happens to be dolby surround not digital. Any help would be much appreciated. I'm wondering if I need different jacks for my audio.

2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Are you using the manual? I have the 884BK which is physically identical except for the lack of 5.1 inputs. Was the 888 even DTS capable?

3. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

I thought I followed the manual through and through. Maybe I'll try it again later.

4. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

I have the av888 by JVC. Its an excellent stereo RCVR will excellent 5.1 and DTS.
    Important//ONLY TWO AMPS//No all channel stereo.
    I just got a 3802 to R&R it. I use it in the bedroom as we speak. JVC makes excellent products, but that is not up to 6.1/es/ex standards and I like all my speakers playing in stereo for cds and tv.
    If its the AV model it should have a dts light and a dolby digital light. Also the inputs have to be programmed and you must push the digital surround button to hear the rear speakers. You need a toslink or digital coax on this beast.
    How much are you going to pay if it works?????
    Let me know.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Joe R

Joe R Auditioning

Also dont forget you have to set the dvd player DD and DTS to on.Most dvd players will not automaticlly pick up either signal.

6. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

Thanks for the advice. I think my problem was the coax deal. I'm going to try that. BTW the price on this is $200 if I want it (He's giving me a 30 day trial so that's sweet [​IMG] )