No Sundance or IFC?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Cerebus, Feb 26, 2001.

1. Cerebus

Cerebus Auditioning

I'm finally checking out options for satellite and the deal breaker for me is the availability of the Sundance Channel, Independant Film Channel, TCM, AMC, NASA and The History Channel. I'm finding the last four in the Dish and Direct basic packages but the first two are buried in movie packages on the Dish site, and absent completely from the Direct site.
    There's no shortage of kids, fashion, country, food, travel, "women" and (*groan*) religious channels in the non-movie packages, none of which I want to watch or support with subscriber money, but I need to jump through hoops and be nickel-and-dimed to get quality film channels like Sundance & IFC? It's looking more like the same old crap that's driving me away from cable in the first place.
    Or am I missing something here?
    Adelphia cable here in Los Angeles is about to replace IFC with another food channel, so I'm eager to call them with a cancellation request and a hearty "F you."

2. carl-s

carl-s Extra

Cerebus,
    Why don't you pay a visit to Pansat over on 11672 Tuxford street in Sun Valley. Talk to Hugo.
    carl
    ------------------

3. Christopher Cheadle

Christopher Cheadle Stunt Coordinator

For Dish, IFC is included in the Top 100 package and above. However, it shares a slot with WE (the old Romance movie network) and only runs like Thursday through Sunday (or some variation of that). The split between the two has long been rumored, but has yet to happen.
    Sundance on Dish is part of the Showtime package. You cannot get it with any of the basic packages. We do subscribe to Showtime, mainly for Sundance, but still enjoy the addition of Dolby Digital sound to the Showtime East and West feeds.
    Hope this sheds a little light on your situation. I can't speak for DirecTV as I know very little about there channels.
    ------------------
    Christopher Cheadle
    Dayton, OH
    -------------------------
    "I gave my love a chicken that had no bone...MMMMM chicken."
    - Homer

4. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Cerebus,
    On DirecTv, IFC and Sundance are included in the Total Choice Starz package for $41.99. Also, I believe that DirecTv includes Sundance free with any of the Total Choice movie packages. (note that some people receive DirecTv through a local coop such as the NRTC and your programming packages may vary) You can see the different packages on the DirecTv website here:
    http://www.directv.com/overview/over...18,145,00.html
    NASA is on the "secondary" satellite location on DirecTv, which means that you need a DirecTv Plus system to receive it. (That means a 24" elliptical dish and DirecTv Plus capable receiver) I don't know if you realized that or not.
    Hope that helps somewhat, I don't know about Dish's programming packages.
    -Dan

5. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

6. Cerebus

Cerebus Auditioning

Thanks everyone for all the updated info. I have a lot more to work with now.

7. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

I have a bit of an update about IFC on DirecTv. According to this post at DBS Forums:
    www.dbsforums.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/003000.html
    IFC will now be included for free with the DirecTv Total Choice package starting on Wednesday.
    -Dan