No subwoofer: where does the .1 track go? + Denon config. question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted Todorov, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

Currently I have 5 speakers but no subwoofer connected to my Denon AVR-2800 receiver. I have properly configured the receiver telling it that I have 5 large speakers and no sub. My question is -- what happens to the .1 track on DD 5.1 & DTS DVDs -- does it simply get dropped on the floor, or is the Denon smart enough to mix in the .1 track through the L & R fronts?
    I have one more, totally unrelated question: back when I had really shitty little speakers, I made some change in the Denon configuration to have DD/LPCM Stereo DVDs go through the center speaker instead of the L & R fronts, and now that I have great (and properly positioned) speakers, for the life of me I don't remember what I did or how to undo it, so that Stereo tracks play in Stereo! Help from Denon owners appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Ted
    P.S. If anyone cares, I am going to get a sub eventually, but it doesn't seem likely to happen in the in the very near future, unless I win that SVS contest [​IMG]

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Not sure what you did for the stereo issue but the LFE track will get sent to the mains if you tell it you don't have a sub.

3. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

{quote}

the LFE track will get sent to the mains if you tell it you don't have a sub.

Only if he has his front towers set to large will he get the lfe form the .1 channel.

Try putting the denon in direct mode for true undisturbed 2 channel listening. You can do this at the touch of a button.

4. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

On a somewhat simmilar note, I recently purchased a Yamaha RX-V1200. It supports 6.1, but I don't have a rear surround. Does it send the '6' to L&R Surrounds instead?

5. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

John doesn't the denon automatically make the mains large if you tell it you don't have a sub? I should know this having owned the Denon 3300 :b

6. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

Andrew,

You may possibly be right, I have never actually set all speakers to small and sub to no...hmm

7. Ted Todorov

At any rate, I had set the speakers to large, so it should be working.

8. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So

9. Ted Todorov

10. Luke_Khuc

Luke_Khuc Stunt Coordinator

article from home theater hifi regarding the .1 channel.