What's new

No "Spaceballs" SE for 2002? (1 Viewer)

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
I am getting very frustrated about waiting for the special edition of "Spaceballs". It is almost fall and no announcement. From the looks of what is rumored this December, it looks as if it isn't coming this year. Has there been some sort of new target date for the movie in 2003? Let me know.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
All the titles for December have not even been announced yet. The Producers is slated for December 3rd, 2002 but no details have been officially announced at this time.

Jeff

Supporting Actor
I think this time around they should call it, Space Balls The DVD. It was called Space Balls The Movie in the theater and the first video release was called Space Balls The Video. They should have done that on the first DVD release.

Not a huge deal but it would be cool.

Jeff

jacob w k

Stunt Coordinator
I keep seeing the original disc around at low prices and am tempted to buy it but have heard some bad things so I will probably wait for a special edition.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
What's so bad about the one that is out there? I thought it WAS a Special Edition.

The only thing that I didn't really care for, was the Mel Brooks Commentary. I'd like to think that either they caught him on a bad day, or that it was too early in the morning or something. Rather than the fact that he's fading fast :/..

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Don't forget about Spaceballs - The Laserdisc (the original MGM release).

Rather than simply matting the well-composed full-frame version, they realigned the Super35 frame and overscanned it for the widescreen version - this resulted in lost opportunities, especially the gag about Princess Vespa's "old" nose on the widescreen side,

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Every Mel Brooks commentary I've heard has been terrible. And it IS called Spaceballs: The DVD

Check out the menus

Brenton

Screenwriter
Nose thing here too.

Anyway, I think they should call it "Spaceballs: The Special Edition DVD".

Hey, the current release isn't even anamorphic, is it?

I agree that Brooks's commentary was pretty bad. There were times when he would sit for quite a while without saying anything and just chuckle at the jokes.

Basically, the current release just has a commentary (lousy), a glossed-over documentary (recycled) and a trailer. At least the menus were funny.

I would buy a good special edition.

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
I remember that Vespa's original nose was quite ugly, but what's this "lost opportunity"? Explain.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
The framing on the DVD ruins the:

"...her old nose!" joke.

The audience doesn't get a very good look at what her nose originally looked like on this disc.

The framing on the DVD is 1.85:1, while the intended framing is 1.95:1.

Brenton

Screenwriter
No. The photo of Vespa's nose is on the extreme right of the screen. Apparently, the film was 1.95:1 theatrically, but the DVD and laser disc were (for some reason) cropped to 1.85:1, cutting off Vespa's nose and ruining the gag.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
The film was shot Super35 but framed at 1.95:1 then cropped to 1.85:1 for the DVD & laserdisc. This framing was then pan & scanned for the "standard television" versions of the film.

The mattes were never opened to change the AR of the film.

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
Apparently, the film was 1.95:1 theatrically, but the DVD and laser disc were (for some reason) cropped to 1.85:1, cutting off Vespa's nose and ruining the gag.
Is 1.95:1 a common theatrical ratio? I'm not that knowledgable about this but I thought most theaters are only equipped to show 1.85:1 and 2.40:1.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
"Oliver Stone has criticized George Lucas' championing of digital because it will "DESTROY CINEMA D00DZ!!!!@!!!" or something like that. And I'm thinking: if Oliver Stone is considered a talented enough filmmaker where his opinion on ANYTHING is worth a damn, then cinema should be f**king shot and dumped in the swamp already." -Josh Martin
:laugh: Couldn't help but laugh at your sig Jean-Michel. As per the comment, I think Stone is putting way too much stock in Lucas' power to effectively change cinema. Not to mention, he's dead wrong. Even if Lucas had tat much power, digital wouldn't destroy it. If the craptastic films constantly being released don't destroy it, digital sure won't If anyting digital has way too many advantages to destroy cinema. Digital isn't even in 10% of cinemas, and probably on less than 3% of screens.
I love Spaceballs. I'd like to see a great edition of it come to DVD.

Brenton

Screenwriter
Who else hopes that the cover of an eventual SE will resemble the cover of Dark Helmet's copy of "Spaceballs: The Videocassette!"

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Oh sh*t! Thanks for bringing it to my attention Jean-Michel. I love Spaceballs. I was thinking of Scorpion King when I posted this. Obviously I made a boo-boo as I love Spaceballs. That comment was not meant for Spaceballs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks