What's new

No Sound With HDMI? (1 Viewer)

hockeymask

Auditioning
Real Name
David Rojas
Let me first say that I'm not very knowlegable when it comes to HT hook ups.
I just try to follow the directions in the manuels. I am unable to get any sound from my Blue Ray player when I hook it up with the HDMI cable only. I do get video. The only way I can get sound is to also hook up a "Optical digital cord" from the player to the receiver. I've gone through the audio setups for both the TV and Blue Ray player and I think everything is setup correctly.

This is what I have and how I hooked it up.

42" Panasonic plasma-contected to Dish Network DVR-622 with "component video cord". The sound is connected from the 622 to the receiver, which is a 5.1 Sony HT-7100DH system, with an "optical digital cord". My Panasonic BD35 is connected to the receiver's IN HDMI jack and connects to the TV from the HDMI OUT jack. I then had to connect the audio of the BD35 to the receiver's audio in jack with an "optical digital cord".

I thought that the HDMI cable would also send audio, which should be much better than the sound coming from an optical digital cord. Correct?

Thanks to anyone and everyone for their help in advance.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

dave

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Your receiver is HDMI "pass through", so you won't get sound with the HDMI connection. Pass through is for easy switching of the video. You have to use a separate cable for audio, such as the optical you're using. Sorry, but there's no way to get the HD audio from blu ray movies, with the system you have. You'll have to settle for regular Dolby Digital and DTS, until you get a better receiver.

hockeymask

Auditioning
Real Name
David Rojas
Thanks for the info. I will definitly look into getting a better receiver down the line.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks