What's new

No sound out of SPDIF on A2 (1 Viewer)

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I just got a Toshiba A2 and the freaking thing won't output ANY sound out of SPDIF, bitstream or PCM. I have tried DVD, HD-DVD (The Mummy) and a CD but my Yamaha RXV-2095 that does PCM, DD and DTS shows nothing coming from the SPDIF. The only sound is out of the 2-ch analog. I do not have HDMI but that wasn't suppose to be a problem I thought. I am seriously frustrated at such a simple issue.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Did you set the audio settings in the A2 properly? I don't remember what the default settings were, but you should certainly check those settings!

Cees

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I found the problem and it was user error but in my defense it was rather interesting and I found it by accident.

I reconnected the optical cable to the HTPC to make sure I didn't break it and it worked perfectly. I thought I remembered I could see some visual flashing on the output of the cable so I disconnected it at the receiver to look at it. I immediately found it odd that the music kept playing. I then noticed that there was also a coaxial digital cable connected and traced it back to the HTPC. For some reason when I hooked up the system 8 months ago I connected both the optical and coax outputs of my HTPC to the receiver and the coax has priority if both are connected. I disconnected the coax, reconnected the optical back to the A2 and it WORKED! I am now a happy camper ready to watch movies in glorious HD on my Sony G70 CRT projector.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Chuck, glad you found a solution. Tell me, how is HD DVD on a those revered CRT projectors? Black levels to die for? :)

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Well I just got done watching "The Mummy". When I first was getting the system setup I noticed the nice deep blues. After watching the movie I realized it wasn't just the increase resolution, it was the greatly increased color space and color resolution that made the biggest difference. Colors had many more shades and scenes looked much more realistic. I have always had good blacks but using the HD-DVD player they were fantastic. Exceptionally black but still had details. I think I am going to have to buy "Batman Begins" tomorrow.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Isn't HD wonderful?

Glad you found your solution!

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members