What's new

no sound in 6.1 mode + DTS-ES question (1 Viewer)

BrianHo

Agent
My reciever is not flagging DTS. Could it be because i am not using the digital input (Optical cable) from my DVD player?

Brian

TanD

Stunt Coordinator
yes and no

if you receiver is has DTS decoder then you have to use the digital input for the receiver to decode the DTS signal.

or if your DVD has a built in DTS decoder then you can using the analog 5.1 connection.

Marc H

Second Unit
And the DVD player must be able to pass the DTS signal out the digital output too. Many early model DVD players couldn't.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
AND you have to select DTS within the individual movie menus, and perhaps there is a player menu that allows DTS to be passed through.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
To sum up,
You must run a digital cable, either optical or co-ax from the dvd player to the receiver unless the player has a dts decoder (usually found only on dvd-audio capable players). If the player has a dts decoder you can use the 5.1 analog cables to the receiver and put the receiver in analog direct mode. In this mode the receiver will not display dts, as it's dts decoder is not being used.

In order to get your receiver to decode dts from the digital cable, you must enable dts output in the player's setup menu. Players are almost always shipped with dts digital output disabled the dts signal can cause damage to speakers if no dts decoder is used.

You also must select the dts track in the dvd's setup menu.

BrianHo

Agent
I have a 6.1 reciever and when i switch the dvd to 6.1 i get no sound. I do have an optical connection from dvd to reciever. I tplays in DTS-ES. Is that good? The rear center channel does work in this mode.

Brian

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
DTS-ES is the 6.1 mode for DTS. If all else fails give your owner's manual a good read. It should explain the different sound modes your receiver has and how to access them.

Mike Mundt

Stunt Coordinator
just to answer your question about dts-es. DTS-ES can have a real 6th chanel encoded into the mix. Unlike Dolby Digital EX which can only have a simulated 6th channel.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Brian, I have merged several of your threads regarding your "6.1" issues. Please continue the discussions here (and only here).

Note to other posters: In one of his many other threads, Brian identified his receiver as the Panasonic SAHE-200.

M.

Gary Mui

Agent
I just tackled a similar problem last night when I tried to watch Gladiator in DTS-ES mode.

My DVD player has an optical cable connection to my receiver, so I was getting Dolby Digital just fine. But when I tried to play the DTS track, I got no audio.

The problem was my DVD player was outputing DTS in PCM. So all I had to do was go into the DVD player's setup menu, and change the DTS output to BITSTREAM. Voila, beautiful DTS-ES sound to my receiver.

Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks