no sound from TV

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by JuanNarvaez, Dec 21, 2005.

1. JuanNarvaez

JuanNarvaez Agent

Hello guys help me out here. I just got my surround sound, I'm running a DVD player, a satellite receiver, and cable. I'm running a very simple connection. Videos to TV and audios to receiver. I can get sound from DVD, satellite receiver but when I just want to watch cable TV, I don't get sound on my surround sound. My receiver is a Kenwood VR-6070.

2. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

Need more info, Juan.

How is everything connected?

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

And are you saying that you simply don't get surround sound when watching cable? In other words, are you getting two-channel stereo? That's the way it defauts.

4. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

there's a little mode called Dolby Prologic II. Many stereo television programs are actually mixed in Dolby Surround.

5. JuanNarvaez

JuanNarvaez Agent

Ok like I said I just connected everything to make it work.
    Here's how I have it.

sat signal--to sat rec.
    cable--to sat rec.-- and both of these go to TV by RG-6.

DVD to TV by yellow RCA

and I have sat receiver's and DVD player's audio by RCAs to receiver.

I went to the newbies section and read some stuff from there and might help me out. As soon as I get home I will try to route all audio and video through the receiver. Still any ideas are welcomed.

6. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

ah. now I see. does either your TV or your cable box have RCA outs?

7. JuanNarvaez

JuanNarvaez Agent

yes it does

8. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

what model of TV is it?

9. JuanNarvaez

JuanNarvaez Agent

Model # I don't know but its a 32" TV with TV Guide. I bought it about 2 yrs ago.

10. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

the kenwood receiver looks to have a video bandwidth of 10 Mhz, which is not really sufficient for 480p. If your TV can accept a 480p signal. you would probably be better off running any progressive component cables directly into the tv.

As for sound from cable, you could string rcas from the cable box into the receiver, or from "tv audio out".

11. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    You just got surround? Is the receiver Dolby digital or Dolby Pro Logic? If it's a Dolby Digital receiver, and you have your dvd player hooked up with rca cables for audio, all you'll get is Pro Logic surround (simulated surround), not true DD 5.1 surround. To get true 5.1 surround, you'll need to use a digital coax or optical cable, from dvd player to receiver's digital input for it.

Then you'll need to go into receiver's setup menus, and assign the input you use for dvd, and digital audio output. You'll also need to make sure your dvd player is putting out a digital signal to receiver. In the dvd player's setup menus, set the audio output to "Bitstream", instead of PCM.

The only way to get 5.1 surround from your sat or cable, is if you have a Dolby Digital sat receiver or Digital cable box, and subscribe to Premium Movie Service (HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc.). Otherwise, all you'll get is Pro Logic. Pro Logic isn't bad. Just not as good as DD 5.1 surround.

Good luck! Keep us posted?

12. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

the other way to get 5.1 sound is to get hdtv-- but that's another can of worms.

13. JuanNarvaez

JuanNarvaez Agent

I changed the settings on the TV and now I have sound, but its not yet DD 5.1. I went to Radio Shack to get a coaxial cable and they didn't have any, so I'm going to wait on that. Right now I have my receiver on Circle Surround II, how is that compared to DD 5.1 and Pro Logic? Also, my receiver has tow sub outputs, one in the section where you connect the DVD/6ch and the other one where it says pre outs. Is there a difference where I connect it?

14. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    Connect a powered subwoofer in the "Pre Outs" area.
    You can get the digital coax cable at Wal Mart too. Or Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.........

Not familiar with the Circle Surround II mode you mentioned. It sounds like another simulated surround mode though.

15. JuanNarvaez

JuanNarvaez Agent

Thanks a lot for the info everybody, like I said I just need to work of the Dolby Digital, but I least I got some sound.

16. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Juan, also, have you checked your DVD player's audio-setup menu? Go in there and select Dolby Digital (and DTS) as your automatic defaults. Newcomers often miss this crucial step.

17. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

They actually have plenty, they are called "video cables". Do not pay extra for a "Digital Coax" cable. Just buy any 75 ohm video cable, they are the same thing. In fact the SPDIF specification was specifically written to use a 75 ohm video cable for the connection. Then the marketing departments got ahold of it and figured out how to charge $50 for a $5 cable.

18. JuanNarvaez

JuanNarvaez Agent

I'm back with another question guys. Like I stated before, I'm running the video to the TV and audio to the receiver. I have the DVD player to the TV with a video cable(yellow RCA), I removed that and connected it with a s-vidoe cable and I don't get any video. Is there any settings I have to move or what I am doing wrong.

19. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Juan,

How do you select the S-Video input on your TV-set?

Cees

20. JuanNarvaez

JuanNarvaez Agent

That's why I was asking because I'm just plugging in the cable and press input on the remote untill it says "video" on the screen but the screen goes to unusable signal. The only options that my TV has are the video and front.