No sound from sub on music?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by KevinWEL, Oct 31, 2004.

1. KevinWEL

KevinWEL Stunt Coordinator

I posted this on the A/V source forum but didn't want to take chances it wasn't a rcvr problem...

I have a Pioneer 563A DVD player hooked into my Onkyo SR601 receiver with digital coax. My sub goes right to the receiver and the component video cables direct to the RPTV input 1.
    Didn't really notice it at first but I set everything up with my S&V cal disc and all seemed well. I do about 80/20 movies/music. When I played any CD I don't have any sound from the sub. Setup always worked OK and great with any DVD but not CDs. I went through the menus and setups on both the receiver and the DVD player but I'm stumped???

I used the rcvr set up but it doesn't have a DVD/music choice. I do have small selected on the rcvr and DVD menu, and the cross over set at 60 hz. (direct connection not variable).
    I found with the test disc in the DVD player I can adjust all my levels (on the rcvr) but when I use test tones generated by the rcvr alone I get NO sound from the sub.
    I've gone through all kinds of menus on the rcvr and the DVD using both manuals with no luck. I guess I'm missing something.

2. David Ruggiero

David Ruggiero Stunt Coordinator

What listening mode are you using when you listen to music? Stereo, direct, dolby etc. ? Try different ones and see if the sub works on any of them. If not, perhaps there might be a setting in the dvd player you are overlooking.

3. al lout

al lout Stunt Coordinator

Kevin,

What kind of receiver do you have? I've noticed that some receivers don't have test tone for sub. Example, my dead Yamaha HTR 5560 doesn't have a built-in sub test tone. Re-Check your settings perhaps check the manual guide on your receiver regarding listening modes (stereo, ProLogic, PLII, PLIIx...)

Al,

4. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

I don't own an Onkyo but have played around with a few and those definitely had a subwoofer signal while playing a CD. And this was with just a regular dvd-video player too. When the receiver was set to the CD input, I pulled up the menu that lists the speaker sizes & made sure "yes" was there for the subwoofer listing. And IIRC for the front mains there was only "small" listed, i.e. no other choice was given at all. But when DPLII was activated & the set menu was pulled up then "large" was also listed.

But I'm not sure if this was a global setting. That means this choice--subwoofer "yes"--would be applied to all inputs & surround modes. But I think when the "direct" mode was chosen the sub cut off because such a setting usually shuts off any extraneous processing, which would include bass management circuits.

Don't be afraid to experiment with your components, but DO keep the volume down to make sure if you pick something inappropriate for your speakers, they don't get damaged.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I recently installed a 601 with a Sony DVD player and got the same thing. I have not taken the time to figure it out though, we just switched to DPLII and the sub was there.

One thing you might check for in stereo mode is whether or not you have it set to "Direct", which will disable the sub.

6. Doug Brewster

Doug Brewster Second Unit

On the past several units I've owned, you can set receiver so that the sub gets the LFE channel or it gets the LFE channel and the all the sound below the crossover point in the front channels. It also delivers the full spectrum to the front channels - they produce the low end of their signal and the the subwoofer does it too. It's usually referred to as LFE+.

Though I don't own an Onkyo, I went to their website and downloaded the manual. You can do what all my receivers called the "LFE+" setting through the feature of your receiver which is referred to as "Double Bass". You'll find this on page 57 in the manual. I would set the front channel speakers to large and employ the Double Bass mode. This should cure your problem...if not, I suggest an 8 pound sledge hammer [​IMG].