1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

No sound from passive radiator?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by WaterEC, May 24, 2006.

1. WaterEC

WaterEC Agent

Just got a pair of Cambridge Soundworks T300 speakers. Found that there is no sound coming out of the very bottom woofer, which I think is a passive radiator. This is true for both speakers. What is wrong? Thanks.

2. Shane Harg

Shane Harg Second Unit

Nothing is wrong. Passive radiators aren't supposed to have sound coming from them. Also known as a "drone cone," they protect your active woofers from long excursion and are used as alternate way to build a bass reflex design. Although there is no magnet or voice coil on passive radiators, they can be tuned to certain frequencies; making them more accurate than ported designs and making them sort of a ported/sealed hybrid.

3. WaterEC

WaterEC Agent

Thanks a lot Shane for your comments, that explains why. By the way I just bought the Panny AE900 projector, also bought a 92" fixed frame screen. Haven't set it up completely, just tested it briefly, couldn't be happier. My wife was also stunned. Usually she is very picky, but this time even she is satisfied.

4. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

You'll only get sound from a PR when low-enough frequencies are present, they produce sound below the woofer's bandwidth. Same as a port.

5. Shane Harg

Shane Harg Second Unit

Nice choice!!!