What's new

No sound from my sub? (1 Viewer)

Ozzie

Agent
The power indicator on the sub (JBL Bass15) does not turn on. Although the sub is a bit outdated, the woofers (and sub) are in excellent shape and hardly used.
I have tried changing the fuse thinking that it may be the problem but to no avail? It may very well be an internal problem but what? I know that the previous set up that this sub was used in was incorrectly wired and this may have caused the glitch but is there anyway to bring it back? Can an incorrectly wired system cause so much damage?

I am setting up my first HT and although the N38II (fronts) put out pretty good bass, I would like and can use that extra kick that a sub would provide.

Any help is appreciated.

TylerZ

Stunt Coordinator
Have you plugged anything else into the electrical outlet to see if it works? You mentioned 'previous set up'. Are you running a different reciever? If you are did you go thru the speaker set-up and choose sub - yes or on?

Ozzie

Agent
Tyler--thanks for the reply
The problem is not the outlet. I did try plugging in another source and it worked fine. When I mentioned "previous set up" I mean that my father had the whole system (JBL SCS115) set up to a JVC stero receiver prior to me getting it. He had all the speakers connected to the sub and only the sub connected to the amp...it was a mess. This time around, I will be using this sub on an HK AVR 225 receiver.
It may have been a power surge that damaged the sub or could it have been the wire set up? I know that this is still a bit vague but I am dumbfounded at why the sub will not turn on?? Does the sub need to be connected to a receiver in order for it to turn on? The system was hardly used and the fronts and rears work just fine. Can this have been a ground issue? Should I make an attempt to opening the sub up? If so, what should I look for?

Thanks in advance!

TylerZ

Stunt Coordinator
No, the sub doesn't need to be hooked up to a reciever to be turned on. Seeing as how you tried the fuse option, there must be something else electrical inside that's screwed up. It could have been from a surge, but I would think that would have fried the fuse. Unless you know what your doing, I'd be careful if you decide to open it up, 110 volts can knock you on your a** real quick. Personally, I probably would, but then I've done alot of electrical work on things over the years. If you decide to open it up go get a volt meter. Start from the closest point where the electrical wire enters the sub and check to see if you're getting voltage. If you get voltage on one side of the switch but not the other then it's gotta be the switch. Just BE CAREFUL. Good luck.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I've used my share of volt meters and soldering irons but for something like this my first recommendation would be to double check how you have it set up. It's turned on, plugged into a live outlet, being fed a good signal, etc. After that the only thing internal I'd mess with is the fuse, after that have it looked at by a professional. Getting an estimate isn't very expensive but although I'm a cheapskate I'd rather do that than risk electrocuting myself or burning down the house by trying to fix it myself.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Are you referring to "auto-on"? If so, it needs some signal from the sub-out of the receiver to trigger on. Have you checked that the receiver is configured with "sub = yes" (or something similar), so that the receiver knows to send a signal to the sub?

Ozzie

Agent
I opened it up! Luckily, I am still around to seek advise!
Anyhow, I think that the problem is that I have a blown amp. I put my ear to the box when I connected it and it definately sounds like there is a current into the subwoofer. I wish that I can explin more but please bear with me, I am a newb:
Seems like the current runs in and reaches a small box that I assume is the actual amp. Problem is, nothing happens after that. No sound and even the power indicator light does not turn on (that is what led me to believe that it was a power issue). Does this sound like an amp problem?
If so, does anyone know of where I can get a replacement? Do I have to go to JBL for a replacement? And, if so, the sub now has a 100 watt amp, can I take it a step up to say 150 watts?

I really appreciate the help and please excuse my ignorance.

-Ozzie

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Seems like the current runs in and reaches a small box that I assume is the actual amp. Problem is, nothing happens after that.
How far in is this box? If it's the first thing in the chain then it's likely the power transformer. I had one blow on my Bass Amp (bass guitar that is) and I took it in to get repaired and it turned out to be a pretty cheap job. Something like $50 labour and parts.
I would recommend you take it in to a local music amp repair shop and have the guy take a look at it.

Ozzie

Agent
Richard,
That is it. That is the box that is not delivering. The electrical cord comes in to the sub straight to this box. The box has two cables that come out of it--one to the board and the other to the fuse.

Does it still sound like a power transformer issue? If so, what could have caused this?
I sure hope it is the power transformer...sounds like it'd be cheaper to have that fixed than replacing the amp.

There is a Guitar Center store very close to my house. Do you think that they'd be able to provide me with repair service?

Thanks Rich!

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Ozzie,
That sounds like it to me. Give that guitar center a call and ask if they do amp repairs. If they don't I'm sure that they can recommend a good shop to you.
I hope everything works out. Let us know will you.

Ozzie

Agent
Richard--
Thanks for the advise. I had a meeting tonight that ran til 10 pm but I will call the Guitar Center tomorrow morning and see what they tell me.

I really do appreciate the help...I'll let you know how it goes.

-Ozzie

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks