no sound from my sub

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by nick-mill, Apr 15, 2003.

1. nick-mill

nick-mill Auditioning

i have got a sony sav-e505 speaker set and a friend has a av receiver. so since i never have heard my set play due to not having one of those av receiver's i brought my set well just the sub he said would do to test out . he connected the sub up to his system but all we got was the power on light from the sub which was green and that was it. there was no noise what so ever from the sub. he said i should send it back but i can't. i brought it from a guy who has moved and i have no contact details to get to him. i just spent £200 on it. is it dead

2. Gary Q

Gary Q Extra

Was you friend sure he had the AVR setup correctly?
    I.e., most AV receivers have a subwoofer on/off setting in the speaker setup menu. He needs to be sure he has the subwoofer “turned on” in the AVR.

3. nick-mill

nick-mill Auditioning

hi thanks for your reply my friend did have a sub woofer connected before i asked him to try my one out. He did check some setting which i don't no nothing about he said he had it set up prefect does these type of sub's need a special signal to activate the sub woofer or a digital signal because before i asked my friend i tried it on my pc and my stereo set.