What's new

No sound from kenwood receiver (1 Viewer)

cbrookhart

Agent
Real Name
Charlie
I have a Kenwood VR-606 receiver. I have just discovered that I am not getting any sound out of the receiver when I play a DVD. This receiver has multiple input selections, such as Video 1/2, Aux, DVD 6-Channel, and CD/DVD. I use the receiver both for TV audio and for DVD audio. For the DVD audio, I have a digital optical cable running from the DVD player into the receiver. I have checked both ends of the connection, and it is firmly inserted. On the receiver itself, are buttons to turn the speakers off as well as to mute the sound. I ensured that the speakers were on and that the sound was muted. I also ensured that the input was selected as CD/DVD. I tested several DVDs and had no sound on any of them. The receiver works as far as being able to use the DVD-6 Channel selection for TV sound. Does this mean that the optical cable has gone bad? Is there something wrong with the receiver itself?

pink

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
roger walters
Do you have your inputs assigned properly? Also check the menu on your DVD Player maybe you have to go to optical out.

cbrookhart

Agent
Real Name
Charlie
The way everything is setup has worked in the past. I don't quite understand why all the sudden I have no sound from any DVD that I put in the DVD player. All I have to do is switch the input to CD/DVD for the receiver and switch the input to component for the TV and then that's it -- the DVD starts playing and there is sound.

The receiver currently is providing sound for the TV so I know at least that part of the receiver is working. I would hate to have to buy another optical cable just to find that it doesn't work or in the worse case scenario, having to replace the receiver itself.

pink

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
roger walters
Are you sure your dvd input is set on optical, could be set on coaxial.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
It may be the player. Do you have another dvd player you can hookup? If not, maybe a friend has one you can try?

cbrookhart

Agent
Real Name
Charlie
The sound settings on the DVD player are not selectable. When the DVD player came from the factory, it was set so that component video was not enabled.

Knowing that the receiver works with a digital coax cable running from my cable box to the DVD 6-channel on the receiver, I took that cable and unplugged it from the cable box and put it into the coax on the dvd player. I started up a DVD and got sound.

So, does this mean that the circuitry that controls the optical cable is not working? If that is the case, that would mean that this is now the second input that has stopped working. I used to have a coax cable running from the cable box to the video 2 input to get sound for the TV. One day, that stopped working and I had to connect it to the dvd 6-channel.

If the circuitry for the optical has stopped working, is that something that is repairable or is it better to get a new receiver?

cbrookhart

Agent
Real Name
Charlie
I have done some additional testing. I just realized that my cable box has an optical connection on it. I kept one end plugged into the receiver and the other end was connected to the cable box. I got the TV sound to come out through the cd/dvd input. My receiver has just one optical connection, so I'm not sure how the sound is coming out through the cd/dvd input which has a coax type connector. When the optical cable is plugged into the cable box and to the receiver, I can see a red light on the optical cable at the receiver end. When it's connected to the dvd player, there is no red light at either end. Does this mean that the optical port on the dvd player no longer works?

cbrookhart

Agent
Real Name
Charlie
So, why is it that the optical port on the DVD player has all the sudden stopped working?

Pink: since you asked about what brand/model the DVD player was, do you know of something that can resolve this problem?

As a temporary fix, I've run the optical cable from the cable box to the receiver and the digital coax from the dvd player to the receiver. Now, I have to just remember that the TV audio is now on CD/DVD (which actually doesn't really make sense to have it that way) and the DVD is now on DVD/6-Channel.

pink

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
roger walters
Why don't you run a coaxial cable from the dvd to the receiver. you should have a coaxial output on the dvd player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks