What's new

No sound from DTS setting turned on with TV (1 Viewer)

RobbL12

Auditioning
Real Name
Robb
Hell all,

I just got a new 49” Samsung M5300 (I believe it is a 2017 TV). I wanted to dip my toes into the home theater “surround sound” experience so I got a Vizio sound bar (SB3621N-E8). This sound bar supports DTS TruSurround, TrueHD, and StudioSound. With no avail, I cannot seem to get DTS to work. When I turn DTS on with my TV, there is no sound whatsoever.

I really want to hear surround sound (even if it is virtual) from my Game of Thrones Blu-rays. I have the Vizio provided optical digital output cable plugged in from my TV to the sound bar and HDMI 1.4 (I believe that is the version) from my 2nd gen PS3 to the TV. I have already ordered a better, TosLink optical digital output cable, HDMI 2.0 and I’ll be using my PS4 once I fix it.

So I’m confused as to why the DTS will not work. I am thinking upgrading cables will fix this. Also the sound bar blinks with two lights which I believe (from google research) means that there is no signal. I know my TV let’s me know if the audio setting is not supported by my sound bar cause it says so when I select Dolby digital plus when it’s available. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

RobbL12

Auditioning
Real Name
Robb
So I feel it was just the TV because it started flickering profusely. Gonna return it and get a new one and hopefully DTS will work.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Good luck, Robb!

Let us know if that does the trick.

In the meantime, I'm moving this thread into our "Displays" forum where we might get some more eyes on it.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Well I hate to tell you this buddy but you don't actually have a surround sound system. You have a pair of stereo speakers joined into one with a subwoofer. That TruSurround thing? That's fake. Its just a way of taking stereo signals and spatializing them and in no way is it an accurate representation of the theatrical sound mix. Honestly You're better off taking it back and getting an SB3651 instead. At least that has an ARC input and a pair of discrete rear channels on top of a 3.1 bar with no phantom center. Good luck.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bolorkay
Recent bookmarks