No sound from downloaded AVI files....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chad Seymour, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Chad Seymour

Chad Seymour Stunt Coordinator

I can't seem to be able to get any sound out of some of the AVI files that I have downloaded. The video is there, maybe a bit fast though. It is only on a handful of the files that I downloaded, some work just fine. I have tried multiple software players including the new DivX 5 and XP mediaplayer, but when there is no sound, there is no sound, no matter what player I use. I don't have a lot of expereince or understanding with the encoding or how it was encoded. Does this resemble something anybody else has expereinced and has an easy fix for?

Chad

2. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

Are you sure the clips should have sound? Some clips forfeit sound to reduce size and d/l time.

Are they from the same website and seem to be of the same variety (ie. video game review)?

3. Chad Seymour

Most are sit-coms and such, from Morpheus....

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Chad,

I had the problem before. Once upon a time I installed a firewire card in my PC- and all AVI/MPG files did this (no audio and jumpy playback). I pulled the card, and the problem fixed itself.

Recently I have added a pretty high end audio editing card- and have seen similar problems if I have the sample clock locked to a certain rate, and the file is a different rate.

I don't know what you might have done, but again- it seemed on my system, any hardware that would change a clock sync issue seemed to cause this problem. Did you change anything recently, or muck with audio settings or anyting in the registry?

-Vince

5. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    I can't believe I am saying this but, have you tried opening the files with Windows Media Player? You may not have the right codec installed for that particular AVI file. WMP will automatically download the codec for you. If they are Divx, try ver. 3.11 codec (WMP will not download those for you.)

Good Luck!

6. Chad Seymour

I don't think it's a hardware problem as the majority of the AVI files I have work. Is there an issue with the codec's not being backward compatible? When I try to open one of these "bad" AVI files, windows media player appears to search for a codec, but then it will tell me it can't load it, then procedd to play the file with no sound....

Chad

7. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    I'm having this same problem using DivX Player 2.0. I get video but no audio. But the strange thing is that when I play the same file in WMP I get sound. Another problem I have with the DivX player and certain files is that when I fast forward, the audio doesn't move along with the video. Anyone else experience this?

8. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    Sounds to me like your missing a codec. Try installing the Nimo Codec Pack.

9. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    Ok, I downloaded the Nimo Codec Pack, but now I'm not sure what to install. Should I do a Basic or Full install? I clicked on custom install but didn't know what all the different codecs meant. I'm using the DivX Player 5.0.2.

10. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Codecs are you problem. Just do a full install of Nimo and you should be good to go on 90% of the files that are giving you problems now. You may still have a few that won't work, but most should.

11. DavidKelley

DavidKelley Extra

try this if your still not getting sound

start->run->mplayer2

this will play it with sound if the sound doesn't then its corrupt.

12. David Hudson

David Hudson Auditioning