What's new

No sound from downloaded AVI files.... (1 Viewer)

Chad Seymour

Stunt Coordinator
I can't seem to be able to get any sound out of some of the AVI files that I have downloaded. The video is there, maybe a bit fast though. It is only on a handful of the files that I downloaded, some work just fine. I have tried multiple software players including the new DivX 5 and XP mediaplayer, but when there is no sound, there is no sound, no matter what player I use. I don't have a lot of expereince or understanding with the encoding or how it was encoded. Does this resemble something anybody else has expereinced and has an easy fix for?

Chad

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Are you sure the clips should have sound? Some clips forfeit sound to reduce size and d/l time.

Are they from the same website and seem to be of the same variety (ie. video game review)?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Chad,

I had the problem before. Once upon a time I installed a firewire card in my PC- and all AVI/MPG files did this (no audio and jumpy playback). I pulled the card, and the problem fixed itself.

Recently I have added a pretty high end audio editing card- and have seen similar problems if I have the sample clock locked to a certain rate, and the file is a different rate.

I don't know what you might have done, but again- it seemed on my system, any hardware that would change a clock sync issue seemed to cause this problem. Did you change anything recently, or muck with audio settings or anyting in the registry?

-Vince

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
I can't believe I am saying this but, have you tried opening the files with Windows Media Player? You may not have the right codec installed for that particular AVI file. WMP will automatically download the codec for you. If they are Divx, try ver. 3.11 codec (WMP will not download those for you.)

Good Luck!

Chad Seymour

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think it's a hardware problem as the majority of the AVI files I have work. Is there an issue with the codec's not being backward compatible? When I try to open one of these "bad" AVI files, windows media player appears to search for a codec, but then it will tell me it can't load it, then procedd to play the file with no sound....

Chad

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
I'm having this same problem using DivX Player 2.0. I get video but no audio. But the strange thing is that when I play the same file in WMP I get sound. Another problem I have with the DivX player and certain files is that when I fast forward, the audio doesn't move along with the video. Anyone else experience this?

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Ok, I downloaded the Nimo Codec Pack, but now I'm not sure what to install. Should I do a Basic or Full install? I clicked on custom install but didn't know what all the different codecs meant. I'm using the DivX Player 5.0.2.

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
Codecs are you problem. Just do a full install of Nimo and you should be good to go on 90% of the files that are giving you problems now. You may still have a few that won't work, but most should.

try this if your still not getting sound

start->run->mplayer2

this will play it with sound if the sound doesn't then its corrupt.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks