What's new

No Sound From a Sony SA-WM40 Subwoofer (1 Viewer)

David J Wang

Agent
I bought a Sony SA-WM40 subwoofer about a week ago and I hooked it up via RCA jack on my Denon 2802. I set all my speakers to small, chose yes for subwoofer, set the crossover on the receiver at 120hz and left the LFE level at 0db. I set the crossover on the sub at 170hz which is the highest allowed on the Sony, and I set the phase at Normal (the options being normal and reverse). The level is at midway and when I set it up through Avia a week ago everything was okay and I was getting sound out of the subwoofer. Today, being about a week after I bought the subwoofer, I played Braveheart and no subwoofer sound even when setting my receiver at 75db. Tried the Avia subwoofer setup and no sound coming from the subwoofer at all. Tried the receiver test tones and no sound coming from the subwoofer at all. Tried to set the crossover on the receiver to 80hz and that didn't help... i don't know if it should help or not. When the subwoofer was working I never played it loud so there's no possible way that it could of blew. Is it possible that the auto/off on the Sony sub turned the sub off for good? By the way the Sony light was green when i was trying the test tones and the Avia setup and I haven't changed any of the cabling from the receiver to the sub. I am totally perplexed... if anyone could help I'd appreciate it because I really would like some bass from my movies. Thanks.

Vietor

Stunt Coordinator
Have you tried hooking it up via the speaker level inputs to see if it is definantly the sub that is busted?

David J Wang

Agent
No I haven't tried hooking up via the speaker level inputs because the Denon 2802 doesn't have speaker binding posts for the subwoofer. It only has an RCA out for the subwoofer. Thanks.

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
I have the wm40 and it didn't make a peep at first. Turned out I had it plugged in wrong. First, I had the two mail prongs on the RCA cable running one into the subs "in" and the other into the subs "out." Duh. I needed an adapter to turn the two prongs into one and plug the one into the in. Then it still didn't work. Turned out I just hadn't shoved the two prongs on the receiver end all the way in. Duh.

Wish I could help you. All I can say is, either you are doing something really stupid like I did, or it's busted.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Wang -

You can put the speaker leads through the sub. There are sets of spring clips marked 'in' and 'out'.

An alternative, in case your rec. had no RCA.

Try it and see what happens.

When you do this, disable the receivers crossover so the front main speakers run full range.

- CM

Vietor

Stunt Coordinator
What I ment is what Colin said. Run the Left/Right Outputs through the speaker level inputs on the sub, and crank the crossover dial to the max (170 Hz or something) just to see if the sub makes noise.

The basic idea was an easy way to know damn sure that the sub was getting signal. And if it still didn't work the problem is in the sub for sure, otherwise its more likely that it is in the reciver.

It was just the first thing that came to mind, basic trouble shooting procedure, isolate the problem.

David J Wang

Agent
Ok, here's what I did to my sub. I left the level input at max and the crossover at max on the sub. Connected speaker wires from the left and right main speaker outputs from my receiver (Denon 2802) to the left and right speaker inputs on the Sony sub. Then, I connected speaker wires from the left and right speaker outputs on the Sony sub to the inputs on the left and right speakers. I then when into the speaker configuration on my Denon 2802 and set subwoofer to NO and the left and right speakers to LARGE, keeping the center and surrounds at small. Fired up the Avia disc and tried to do the Subwoofer Setup test using the Subwoofer Level on the Left-Front test and no sound coming from my subwoofer. Then, also did the Low Frequency Sweep test on the left-front channel and the right-front channel and the subwoofer and still no sound coming from the subwoofer. Sound still comes from all other channels though just for more information. So with these results, is it safe to assume that it's my sub that's busted or could it be something else like my receiver? And if my sub is busted is it at all common for a brand new sub to be broken within a week of purchase (from Sears)? Thanks for all your suggestions.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
You must have just gotten a bad one. Since it's only been a week from purchase, take it back to Sears and get a new one!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks