No sound comming from super audio cd? What's up?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Ferdinand*T, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Ferdinand*T

Ferdinand*T Second Unit

I have a Denon 4802 receiver and a Denon 2900 that can play super audio cd's. When I put the disc in the DVD player recognizes it as a super audio cd and it plays but I don't hear any sound. When I switch the player from super audio to cd it plays it but but not stereo or multi. Any suggestions? This is my first attempt at listening to a super audio cd. Am I doing something wrong?

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Do you have the analog cables connected? The digital cable will pass DVD-V sound or CD sound but not SACD or DVD-A.

3. Ferdinand*T

Ferdinand*T Second Unit

Ha! Thats it I'm using a digital cable. THANK YOU! I'll go buy a new cable tomorrow! Learned something new. I love these boards!

4. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    If you want multi-channel sound, assuming your Denon 4802 has a multi-channel input, you will need 3 (left & right, left surround and right surround, center and sub) cable pairs. You can still listen in stereo by selecting the multi-channel input of your receiver. Also, for multi-channel you will want to set-up your level controls for each channel.

5. Michael St. Clair

If you don't have full-sized mains, you'll need to engage bass management in your player (I'm not sure if the 4802 has bass management for analog inputs).

6. Ferdinand*T

Ferdinand*T Second Unit

Hmmm... so I need to connect each speaker with an AV cable?

7. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Yes. SACD and DVD-A are analog output only. You'll need 6 new cables for the whole deal. I have a Denon 2803, but yours is probably the same. Look for the EXT. IN button on your remote or on the front of the receiver. That will enable those inputs.

8. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Si senor Ferdinand! Daft and dopey, ain't it! 6 cables is what's required because the kontent provider's are paranoid about digital connections. Their decisions 5 years ago have made multi-channel DVD-A and SACD a pain to implement and harder to use. Hook it up, you may like it? A few more expensive players have "secure" digital outputs and a few Elite and Denon and maybe a few other recievers have inputs for these outputs for M/C. If these formats survive, digital connections will have to work their way down the product lines, me thinks. Best wishes!

9. Ferdinand*T

Ferdinand*T Second Unit

I don't want to invest alot on cables for this SACD feature at the moment. But is it going to make a difference if I get standard cables instead of high quality cables? Also can I have these cables connected along with the digital cable? Also how many speakers do I need connected for Stereo?

10. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    If you want to try it out to see what multichannel is all about, get 3 pairs of spare cheapo freebies. Any RCA interconnect will do.

But of course, a system is only as good as its weakest link, so crap cables will degrade your sound somewhat. If you feel you like what you're hearing, at that stage you can invest in decent cables. Many find the so-called DIY cables are good value for money, pairing Belden cable with Canare RCA plugs (I myself went this route).

As an alternative, get one decent pair first, to connnect front L/R out first, and listen only to SACD stereo (and/or downmix DVD-A to stereo output) to see if you find that hi-res audio is worth the investment. If not, you're only out one pair of interconnects.

11. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

If you are looking for some decent-but-cheap cables, head over to Radio Shack and look for some of the Gold series cables. They really aren't bad and are a pretty good deal.

Best Buy sells Acoustic Research cables that are also a pretty good deal.

12. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Gentlemen, gentlemen: When discussing a hardware-oriented topic, please post in the appropriate hardware-related section. Thank you. JB

13. Ferdinand*T

Ferdinand*T Second Unit

Ok I went to Best Buy and bought some decent cables to see if this is something I'm going to continue to use before I invest in good cables. I bought Acoustic Research Performance Series AV cables. After I got it all connected I was finally able to listen to SACD for the very first time and I'll tell you I'm pretty impressed. I definitely plan to buy more SACD's.

Now my only question is how do I get the sub to work? Or is it not?

14. Ferdinand*T

Ferdinand*T Second Unit

Anyone? I can hear the sub slightly but its not like it normally is. Any suggestions? My DVD player doesn't have bass management for SACD.

15. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

Can you not raise the sub level on the DVD player? You MUST have some flexibility in that area with the 2900.

I'd say do a search as this has been talked about to death, except I can not get the search to work.

16. Ferdinand*T

Ferdinand*T Second Unit

Yeah I just did a search. I had trouble finding a thread that discussed it in detail but I found one. I'm kind of dissapointed to find out my player DOES NOT have any bass management feature what so ever for SACD. You would think a $1k player would have this feature hands down. What makes it worse is that the new lower model player the 2200 has this feature for $600. So there is not much I can other than lower the other channels to match the sub volume. I don't want to make my receiver work harder to compensate for having to lower the channel volumes to correct the bass problem. The player also doesn't give you the option to raise the volume for a certain channel. It only goes from 0dB on down.

17. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

I hear ya Ferdinand! These players are evolving and the 2200 just happened to be released after the 2900, which allows Denon to implement changes that customers have complained about. This has been a problem since implementing these players though and they are just now getting close to giving us what is needed (flexible bass management). This problem should have been resolved by now. It has sold a lot of ICBM's from Outlaw though. [​IMG]

18. WayneF

WayneF Auditioning

I have a Denon DVD-2900 and it has full bass management for DVD-audio and SACD. This excerpt is taken directly from the Denon website from the DVD-2900 information.

DENON DVD-2900
    DVD-Audio and discrete SACD decoders with 5.1 analog outputs • DENON designed, Burr-Brown 24-bit, 192-kHz DSD-1790 Audio DACs that decode PCM and DSD signals discretely with no down-conversion of DSD • Full Digital Bass Management for DVD-Audio, featuring Analog Devices Melody 32-bit processor; 80Hz crossover with 12dB high and 24dB low pass slopes; Adjustable delay time(0-15ms)and Channel Levels • Full Digital Bass Management for SACD; 80Hz crossover with 6/12dB slopes on all channels; Adjustable channel levels • MP3 Playback • Plays Audio/Video CDs; DVD-Audio/Video; Super Audio CD; DVD+/-R/RW(conditional); Audio CD-R; Audio CD-RW; MP3 CD-R/RW (128 or higher kbps recommended) • Dimensions: 17.1"w x 5.2"h x 13.0"d • Weight 17.6 lbs. • MSRP $999

19. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Supporting Actor

Ferdinand, I think what is meant by Bass Management in this context is: you can set the main speakers to small in the player and, when playing a 2-channel recording (SACD, CD, etc.) it will redirect the LF to the sub. Without this feature, a 2-channel recording will only be sent to the 2 front speakers.

It's weird how a $1000 player like the 2900 doesn't allow you to boost a channel's output. My cheapie Sony DVP-NS755V allows you to boost each channel by up to 10dB in .5dB increments. I think I've got the sub at +6dB to get more signal from SACDs, but I don't use Bass Management because it seems to degrade the resolution of the sound (see many previous threads about this controversial issue).

Doug

20. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Yeah, with the 2900, you have to LOWER all of the other channels to match the sub. Then, raise your volume...