"No Signal" - HD TV with OTA Samsung SIR T-150

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Philip, Jul 16, 2001.

1. Philip

Philip Extra

I just finished hooking up a factory fresh Samsung OTA HD box to my A/V receiver and Tosh 56H80.
    I am using a RS amplified indoor antenna purchased today and the box is functioning properly, but I get no signal with 0 siganl strength on the Samsung meter, no matter what I do with the antenna.
    I am on the second floor on more of a hill then a valley and I even attached the antenna to a 25' coax line and walked all over the room, which has 4 windows. I can't believe putting another antenna on the roof, about 10' higher then my 2nd floor will solve the problem
    Other in the Philadelphia area indicate they are receiving 5 stations broadcast OTA in digital HD or SD...I receive none with my set-up box, and an independent review of the the Samsung SIR T-150 indicates it has the ability to pull in weak signals.
    Please let me know what I should do or I'll have to send back the new Samsung box.
    THANKS! Philip

2. Matt Rising

Matt Rising Auditioning

In all the articles I have read I can't remember anybody getting successful OTA reception with an indoor antenna. Even in my home, 3-4 miles as-the-crow-flies from then broadcast antenna of our NBC and CBS affiliates I have to use an external antenna and a 30db amplifier (and I still get signal dropouts.)
    While a lot of my problems have to due with the incredibly shoddy reception ability of the Panasonic TU-HDS20 STB, it appears that reception problems with OTA are the norm, even with an exterior antenna. A small, indoor, non-directional antenna appears to have no hope of ever pulling in a US HDTV signal. Most of the techy-types seem to blame this on the 8-VSB modulation scheme we use instead of the Japanese and European COFDM scheme.
    http://www.antennaweb.org/antennaweb/
    This site gives you a recommended antenna type for your location. (I recommend that you use your next-door neighbor's address however, unless you want to wind up getting junk mail.)
    It also supplies compass headings for the directions of your area's DTV broadcasters.
    Also, local Radio Shacks all have an antenna selector guide map that will give you a recommended antenna model (which they conveniently sell.)
    ------------------
    Matt Rising

3. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

There are plenty of people using indoor antenna. I sell the Silver Sensor indoor UHF antenna and get positive feedback all the time.
    Philip, how do you know that the receiver is functioning properly? Have you tested it at another location? If not, I suspect you have a defective unit.
    ------------------
    John Golitsis
    Next Big Thing Electronics