No signal at all to samsung STB

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by ericLee, Jan 21, 2005.

1. ericLee

ericLee Stunt Coordinator

Hi
    I finaly decided to try HDTV and i bought a open box samsung 351 STB. I hooked it up to my antenna in the attic and there is no signal at all. With the anttena I was able to get the local analog channels. But using the STB I get nothing at all. I suspect it could be defective since it was a display model. I've read that DTV signal are easier to get and since i'm getting my local channels fine through analog I should get at least get something. I pulled up the menu to check signal streng and it shows nothing. I Live in the suburbs with no tall buildings around me.

2. DougR

DougR Second Unit

Did you go into the Menu under "Channels" and Click on the Tab to "Memorize Channels" ??It has to Learn ( Search) for the Channels that it can Receive first.

3. ericLee

Tried to memorize but couldn't because there was no signal tried Air std hrc irc nothing and also when i check signal strengh nothing.

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

The UHF reception is most important for over the air HDTV.

How well do you get UHF stations on an old TV connected to your antenna? If not well, your chances of HDTV are not good either.

More likely, the set top box may have low sensitivity or may be defective.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

5. ericLee

I memorized agiain and i get channel 29 and it's sub stations, and it shows a local radio station on it's sub stations and a video stream on 2 of of them. It's a radio station 10 miles away 94.7 family radio, I know this becasue I listen to it at work ofton. Why would I recive Fm? and not anything else. when I put the anttena to analog TV i get channles but nothing with the STB. channel 63 and channel 50 PBS, MBC should come on fine. I could get those channels by just pluging in a coax cable and i used to get reception without an anttena. I looked at anttena web.com and channel 29 is listed as Fox PA. I don't get whats happening. maybe it's the wrong antenna? channel 50, PBS is 8 miles away and I can't get the signal.

6. DougR

DougR Second Unit

What type( Brand, indoor/outdoor...etc ) of Antenna are you using ??

7. ericLee

I did a little research and channel 29 is actualy wfme TV and not FM. I'm not relly sure what atenna i have but i assume it is uhf otherwies I wouldn't get 2-13 50 58 63 which are all uhf. wfme tv is farther out compared to some other channels and it has less power, So i don't know why i would be getting it and nothing eles. It's weird, you always seem to be able to get christian TV anywhere you go. Well I returned it yesterday and wanted to buy another STB but it seems no one carries them anymore except CC which is out of stock.. They wouldn't even sell me the display samsung 451. I might just order a LG 4200 online. I always had bad luck with samsung electronics.