What's new

No shortage of GREAT FAMILY FILMS still unreleased... (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
While we're waiting for the next Disney Platinum edition or whatever, there's plenty of non-Disney fodder for fine family entertainment on DVD, if the studios would wake up and release it:
1] SOUNDER (Paramount has this now, I think)
2] A HIGH WAIND IN JAMAICA (Fox. Never on video, period)
3] WHERE THE LILIES BLOOM
4] RAILWAY CHILDREN
5] DOG OF FLANDERS
6] PETER RABBIT & TALES OF BEATRIX POTTER
7] THE LITTLE PRINCE (Bizarre, but fun)
...add your own.

SteveK

Supporting Actor
Dick- I agree that there are many family films yet to be released on DVD. Some of the classics have been released (Vault Disney, etc), but most of the titles have not. However, given the trend of many studios now to release "family" films in Pan&Scan only, I'm not all that eager for these family films to be released now anyway. After all, if they're released only in P&S, they might as well not be released at all. Hopefully, that trend will end soon and family films can be released in their OAR.

Steve K.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
6] PETER RABBIT & TALES OF BEATRIX POTTER
This has actually been available for years from Goodtimes, in a not-great-but-not-bad 4-disc set:

The 4 discs are also sold individually, or you can find 2-packs. But the best way to buy is the 4-disc set: I got mine at Costco a couple years ago for something like $14.99, maybe even $12.99...but I haven't seen it at Costco for ages. I used to see it at Sam's Club, too...but I let my Sam's membership lapse, so I don't know if its still there.
But you can order it from Best Buy if worse comes to worse!
All of this reminds me that I really ought to add listings for these titles at the TVShowsOnDVD site...they ARE TV programs, after all. Maybe this weekend I'll find some time.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
David, this does not appear to be the film of which I speak, which was an elaborate live-action British release from the 70's featuring some of the niftiest costumes I've ever seen.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
The Wilderness Family was released a short time ago and is available as a 2-pack at my local Wal-Mart. Funnily enough, I could not find any info on this set on any online retailers at all. If you can't find the set at your Wal-Mart, or other brick and mortar, I would be willing to purchase it and sed it to you.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Where the Lilies Bloom -- fantastic mid-seventies film about orphaned hillbilly children who hide their father's death to avoid being split up. I remember Siskel & Ebert included this on one of their "little known gems" programs many years ago.

EDIT: Whoops! Didn't notice Dick had already listed this.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Oh, and the original Swedish "Pippi Longstocking" movies with Inger Nilsson as Pippi -- preferrably with both the original Swedish and optional English dubbed tracks (the latter being how we in the states saw them, of course).

And I've still got a soft spot for those hokey Sun Classic Pictures "documentary" films about Bigfoot, Noah's Ark and the like.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
David, this does not appear to be the film of which I speak, which was an elaborate live-action British release from the 70's featuring some of the niftiest costumes I've ever seen.
Whoops, not the same thing, then. This is British, but not live-action. It DOES have framing sequences for each episode that are live-action, centered around a character that is supposed to be Beatrix Potter writing down the tales IIRC, but the Beatrix Potter stories themselves when they play are definately animated.
I grew up watching these on PBS on weekends, and briefly saw them later on cable (TBS, I think, but it could have been another station). My young son enjoys them now. :)
Never seen or heard of a live-action version of the stories. I guess the costumes you speak of are rabbits, ducks, mice, etc.?

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
If Universal could release an OAR of THE RAILWAY CHILDREN (1970), as earlier listed, I'd be mighty happy.

The Beatrix Potter film, circa 1970, was a rather bizarre creation, with costumed ballet dancers (as Potter characters)romping about oudoors.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I've had my eye on that Beatrix Potter Collection (4-discs, 9 episodes). We have the VHS tape set and my wife nixed my recent suggestion that we give away or sell them (sentimental reasons). I checked and found they were on DVD so I may want to just upgrade -- less shelf space, better quality than VHS.

It seems that some online retailers are basing their price on a $49.95 MSRP while others quote a $29.95 MSRP. Makes for a large price difference.

DDD has the set for $23.98. Still mulling it -- so many DVDs to get these days.

Users who are viewing this thread