No SACD Market Penetration In The UK?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Al B. C, Dec 13, 2002.

1. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

2. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I'm surprised if its not good given the one million players sold in Europe.
    I have seen many SACDs in London, though.
    [​IMG]

3. andrew markworthy

Brits are generally reasonably keen on new electronic gizmos. E.g. when VHS was a new thing, the UK led the world in purchases of video recorders. We also are considerably ahead of the USA in purchases of widescreen TVs.

But: we will only buy into something if we think it's worthwhile. Electronic goods aren't incredibly expensive here, but nor are they as cheap as in the USA. Therefore, we need to be convinced that something is going to be worth the outlay and is not going to be superceded in a few months. Think of e.g. Betamax,Digital Audio Tape, and
    that curious hybrid digital cassette Philips produced

The simple fact is that SACD isn't the only new medium on the market. There's also DVD-Audio. It's unlikely that many people will be tempted to buy into either system until they know which is going to go the same way as Betamax. Therefore, chances are that Brits will wait to see which is the winner before investing heavily (e.g. the mini disc only got a foothold here after it became popular elsewhere).

FWIW, my hunch is that DVD-Audio will win as it can piggy back onto the burgeoning interest in DVD. Since DVD players will also play CDs, people will be happy to ditch the CD player and just have one all-purpose DVD player. A SACD player won't play DVDs, so it's another box to be accommodated.

4. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

5. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

6. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Chester isn't much different than many U.S. places. Any town without a Best Buy or Circuit City has few few if any SACD's on it's retailer's shelves. In Knoxville we have both and their limited selections. A local B & M, The Disc Exchange, has taken to sprinkling SACD's, mostly Sony single-layer titles, amongst the general CD population. I hope that trend continues. I picked up a copy of Grant-Lee Phillips' MOBILIZE hybrid SACD at the Disc Exhange for a present. I was impressed to see it stocked.

SACD is doing a little better here than the U.K. but granted these are small degrees. Sony's marketing is a failure. Only the strength of the format allows it to tread water if you ask me. For me personally, if it wasn't for what the other labels are releasing, I'd of given up on the format or put it on hold, proably...?

If Sony and Universal don't have sense enough to put hybrid SACD's in racks at every record store, everywhere, well..., I can't help them! Like...Duh!

BTW, are the Rolling Stones hybrids available in Chester at very least? Are they not available in the U.K.?

7. andrew markworthy

Michael, an all-in-one box that does SACD and all forms of DVD is a more attractive proposition, I agree. However, I doubt if SACD will succeed even then. J6P is likely to see it as a peripheral item - why buy SACD when there's DVD (i.e. something they're already familiar with)? We all know that protestations of better quality etc are not very persuasive for J6P. Please don't get me wrong - I'm not anti-SACD, but I just don't think it'll succeed.
    Personally, I long for the day that we can have one box containing surround amp, a player that does all formats of disc including recordable DVD, digital satellite decoder, and a TIVO-type system. I'm reaching a grouchy middle age where I'd happily trade a marginally better sound and picture quality to be rid of a lumbering great cabinet full of audio-visual separates. Oh yes, and an affordable large plasma screen that will hang on the wall and liberate yet more floor space. I don't want much, do I? [​IMG]

8. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

This news is not surprising at all. SACD (as well as DVD-A) to date has been a total failure at winning over the buying public. It is a sad state of affairs when the SACD section in Circuit City is simply a kiosk with no new titles and an SACD player that Sony no longer produces and is not in stock. Nice way to market a format with nothing to play it on. I recently went into a Best Buy near me and they had off brand DVD players piled in front of the SACD section at the back of the store. It really would not matter either way because they did not have any players for sale at the kiosk.

At the couple Circuit City I have been in, the DVD-A in their new kiosk seem to be moving alot better then the SACD, but this is still no measure of mass acceptance. It helps that the DVD-A are actually lesser in price and have titles available that are more to the main stream publics liking though.

Still people in general are happy with CD and not looking to upgrade to a new format. Until more new releases come out in Hybrid only and force the SACD into homes, it will strctly be a product for a very small niche.

J

9. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    ??? Can you not even buy the Stones' hybrids in Chester or the rest of the U.K. for that matter? Enquiring minds want to know....