What's new

No room for SVS -- Other suggestions? (1 Viewer)

Ken Woodrow

Stunt Coordinator
After much angst, I've come to depressing realization that a SVS sub is simply too large for my room (10x17) and will not pass SAF muster. So I'm now in the market for a sub with a smaller footprint that is roughly comparable in quality for both music and HT. I don't really need incredible extension (flat to 25 Hz is fine) or SPL levels (remember, its a small room), just fast, accurate bass. I'm willing to spend up to $1,500 for the sub, but would prefer something in the $800 to $900 range so that I could spend the extra $$ on equalization.
I'm really disappointed that the SVS won't work in my room -- its height is the real limiter for me because it would obtrude from behind the sofa and visually dominate the back part of the room. Because the room is not a dedicated HT, but rather a multipurpose room in a walkout basement, the wife decided that a big black cylinder was not an appropriate part of the decor. (In all honesty, I don't think it would have looked that bad placed next to the black Vifa A/Vs on black stands, but that's a debate I'm not going to win).
So -- size wise, one or a pair of 12" or 14" cubes would be perfect. They would fit neatly in the back corners of the room next to the rear speakers and would not stand-out visually. With an EQ, I could probably compensate for most of the negative effects of their placement.
I'm definitely interested in DIY solutions, having built the Vifa A/V and Aria 5 kits for my main speakers.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,

MickB

Agent
I have been very happy with my Hsu subwoofer. 114db at 20 Hz. Mr. Hsu provides free consultation for best subwoofer placement. His subwoofers have the smallest footproint of any subwoofer. www.hsuresearch.com

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
I think there's somebody trying to sell an HGS10 on the subwoofers for sale page. Should fit the bill perfectly.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Ken,
You could try laying it down on its side or putting a light whatever matches the decor curtian around it. She's happy because it matches the decor and your happy because you get the SVS. If the SVS is a no go, try dual Adire Audio Ravas. They should work well given your situation and can look like two nice end tables. She could even put something on top of them if she wanted.
Best of luck!

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Velodyne HGS is very small and very powerful but still overpriced IMO. DIY may be the best way to go. Look into Adire Audio Shiva 12"driver for these applications. They also sell the Rava which I hear is excellent for the price. HSU is also very good but I think it is a little bigger.

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
Yep - OneCall still has the Velodyne SPL-1200 for $749, Factory Refurbished with full warranty. Mine should be arriving today. They also have the Sunfire True Sub MkII for $886 - factory serviced. The Velodyne SPL-1000 is $599 for Refurb.
Pretty good deals, and small little cubes that have some nice output! The SPL-1200 is up towards the top of TN's list - I think a great value at $750 for those of use who can't get an SVS.
Bryan

Randy G

Second Unit
My dealer just took a brand new HGS-10 out of the box to use as a demo for somebody a little over a week ago(perfect condition, no scratches on it). He'd probably sell it for a tad under $1000 just to get it off the floor(doesn't like carrying much stock) and it would include a full warranty. If you're interested, drop me a note at [email protected]. I can also get you 30-33% off on new Velodyne.
Also, in addition to the ACI Titan II, you might want to take a a peek at the new Monitor Audio FB 212. Same size as the Titan II LE, but 50% heavier and an isobarik design with variable Q control. Looks sharp too, but lists for $2000. I can get ya 25% off though.
Randy
------------------

Matty B

Stunt Coordinator
DUDE! Take control of your penis back from the wife! You should NOT be compromising home theater because she doesn't like the way it looks. You MUST make some concessions already for her that she could look the other way on this one. Come on! The premier subwoofer in the GALAXY. It's PHALLIC! It HAS to be symbolic when the wife is crushing your phallic dreams
frown.gif

derek fong

Auditioning
Another small sub that is flat (-2 db) in my 12x16 living room is the Gallo Acoustics MPS-150. it may not go quite as deep as others, but it is very musical, fast and tight. i even compared it to my pricey REL Storm in my 2 channel setup and was impressed that it was nearly as good at blending seamlessly with my Magnepan speakers. of course in my HT setup with the Gallo Micros, the match is perfect.
-derek

Myram

Second Unit
Real Name
SteveH
Stick with the SVS!!
Just lay it down in back of your sofa, that way you still get the best sub on the planet, and you won't see it at all.
------------------
Home Theater Page

mctague

Stunt Coordinator
I actually moved my audio rack to the room BEHIND my HT to make room for a CS-U. One dry-wall saw, and $50 worth of remote control repeaters later.......ppppeeerrrfffeeecct!
:)

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
The SVS cylinder doesn't have to stay black. You can easily wrap it in a different color fabric to blend in with the room. The footprint is quit small already. Once properly redressed to match the room, the height won't be a visual factor.
------------------
Guy Kuo
Link Removed
Ovation Software, the Home of AVIA DVD

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks