No Receiver Volume

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Michael Scheff, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Michael Scheff

Michael Scheff Auditioning

I must be doing something wrong. I bought a new Sherwood 100Wx6 channel receiver and hooked the DVD up to it. When I played a DVD there was sound, but it sounded tinny and at a very very low volume, even when I cranked the sound all the way up.(by low volume, I mean you had to put your ear near the speaker to hear it). This happened even when I used the receiver's FM tuner. As an experiment I then disconnected the receiver and hooked up an old stereo receiver I own (NAD 55w/channel) to the freont speakers. Same problem. The speakers in question are Atlantic 251LR bookshelf speakers. I also hauled a Klipsch speaker up from downstairs -- same bad result. Is it possible I'm hooking up to the receivers incorrectly? I alternately tried each of the inputs, DVD, Tape, Video player, CD, etc. Didn't make any difference. Why can't these receivers push these speakers?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Michael, kindly explain how you have hooked your other components to the receiver (i.e., DVD player to receiver with which cables, etc.). Also, how are the speakers connected?

3. John S

John S Producer

Does it have a tape monitor? Make sure that is not engaged if so.

Right now, it sounds like it could just be a bad unit, as unlikely as I think that would be.