No rears/center yet, can I listen to new sub?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Cindy B, Apr 4, 2002.

1. Cindy B

Cindy B Extra

I just got my new Rava, and I only have my two Mini-monitor mains. No rears yet, and no center channel. I have purchased the cable to hook up my sub, and I know exactly where it will sit, but will I be able to use it yet? Right now I listen to everything in 2-channel mode, and have set up my speakers acordingly on my Onkyo 696. My mains are set to large, and other speakers are set to N/A, or none, or whatever the setting is. So can I hook up the sub, and set it up on the receiver, and hear it? If I listen in 5.1 mode, I will lose the voices in the center, so is there a solution? Or do I have to go out and spend big $$ now on the other speakers?[​IMG]

2. Harold_C

Harold_C Stunt Coordinator

Sure. You can use you sub quite nicely.

Just set your front speakers to SMALL and the sub to ON with the crossover at 80 or 100 Hz (for most speakers). The receiver will route all sounds above the crossover to the main speakers and all bass below the crossover to the subwoofer. You will be much more solid bass and improved dynamic range and clarity from your front speakers due to the benefits of biamping.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

And keep your audio setting to 2-channel mode, of course.

Just treat it like you would if you listened to 2-channel music (front speakers - small, sub - on).